Chapter 21: The Gate

A strong autumn wind buffeted the grassy plain as Lunae stood over the unresponsive body of Solis. The black-haired android wiped away tears before finally looking back at Winter who watched him sorrowfully.

A million thoughts swam through Winter's head as this happened. Lunae! What do I do? What should I say? How should I act?

But soon Winter's body decided for him as the IceWing dragonet ran over to his side while he continued to contemplate his thoughts. He looked down at Lunae sympathetically, and contemplated saying something. But instead he decided to scoop the android up in his talons and hug him against his chest.

"I'm so sorry that this had to happen, Lunae. I... I wish I didn't have to kill her. I wish I didn't have to kill anyone!" Winter said as he began to sob furiously. The poor IceWing's heart was becoming exhausted from all of the death's recently. Each passing one felt like stones piling up over him as they threatened to crush him. The pain of it never got easier either.

"It's... Alright Winter. I was the one who gave you these powers, so every life taken is my responsibility. Besides, I have no regrets. Solis made her decision when she faced you all." Lunae said calmly. "She's gone because of her own bad decisions. I... I'd like to think she had no regrets either."

"Lunae." Winter whimpered the android's name through a sob. "Thank you for talking with me again. Thank you so much."

"Heh." Lunae laughed through his tears. "Why do you care for me so much? You must be quite the fool if you'd wish to speak with me after all the deceit I acted upon you with."

"Maybe, but I think you're a fool too!" Winter exclaimed as he continued to cry. "I've seen the pain in your eyes before. When you watched my dreams, and even when I yearned for Qibli. But you helped me through it all. You comforted me, you spoke to me, and you helped me understand how I truly felt. I don't believe that was all just some act! So maybe that does make me a fool. But I'm not going to sit here and watch you cry your eyes out, and expect you to tell me you don't feel anything! I know you do! Underneath all of your hate for the scavengers is someone who is scared and lonely! Well, I've decided that I don't want you to be lonely! I want you to keep being my friend because I care about you! I'm grateful for you being in my life, so please don't try to convince me otherwise!"

Lunae placed his palm up to the IceWing's chest. "You truly are an amazing dragon Winter. Don't worry. I... Don't think I want to be alone anymore either. So... Thank you. Thank you for telling me. From now on I don't want to hide anymore." Lunae looked up at Winter with a sad smile. "I want to keep being your friend too!"

Winter met his gaze and failed to hold back anymore tears. For some reason, it felt like he'd known Lunae for such a long time. Despite everything he did, Winter couldn't bring himself to feel any disdain for him, so he continued to hug him and cry tears of joy at hearing Lunae call him his "friend" once more. It was almost as if a piece of himself had finally returned to him.

Qibli then walked up to Winter and placed a warm talon on his shoulder. His eyes were filled with affection as he watched Winter cry. Winter could tell how proud Qibli was feeling over the IceWing expressing his emotions in such a manner. But Qibli soon looked down at Lunae with much less affection. "So does this mean you're going to be helping us again?"

"I suppose it does. Not that I'm of much use anymore. However, I do want to thank you as well, Qibli."

Qibli raised a curious brow. "Huh? Me?" He said while pointing a claw at his chest.

"Yes. After all, you were the dragon that warmed Winter's cool heart. If it wasn't for you I may have had to put up with a pouty IceWing the whole journey." Lunae said with his old sassy demeanor returning to him.