Chapter 18: Phantoms

~Darkstalker POV~

The autumnal winds were blowing harshly as Darkstalker flew across the sea until he eventually came into view of a coastal forest region he assumed must be within the northern half of the SkyWing's territory. He glanced back at the shape of Solis as she flew close behind with her blonde hair buffeted by the wind. She flew against the torrent effortlessly despite her small frame, and as she protectively held onto the sphere containing the small RainWing dragonet child, Niji. Seeing something that resembled a scavenger fly in such a way made him feel somewhat uneasy, but his visions had informed him that she was necessary for most of, if not all of his courses of action going forward.

I'm no longer an animus. My powers... Everything that made me who I once was are now gone. But I still have my enchantments. And I currently have the influence of this strange girl. As long as I don't make any more foolish mistakes... Darkstalker then cut his thoughts off as he landed near a cluster of tall oak trees that resided next to the base of a seaside cliff. Solis soon landed next to him as she delicately touched the ground with her small legs. The sight reminded Darkstalker of a frail butterfly landing on a tree branch, but he knew too well that whatever her true nature was would be far from being described as "frail".

"Humph!" Darkstalker snorted before beckoning her to follow with a flick of his tail as he walked into the shelter of the large trees. The enormous dragon eventually stopped when he reached far enough into the forest as he thought necessary. I've had my animus powers my whole life, and now... They're just gone? Was it really that simple? How could such a thing even be possible?

"Solis! Tell me. How was Jerboa's spell able to affect me when I was nothing but a soul within Peacemaker? I had once cast an animus spell on myself preventing the effects of other animus spells from effecting me." Darkstalker looked at the small girl with an agitated look.

Solis met his eye level as she quietly floated in the air. "The souls of all living creatures are complicated. It is fully possible that as Peacemaker, some animus spells simply ceased to work altogether and have since been nulled by the process of becoming another dragon."

"And how am I supposed to know which of my spells still work and which don't!?" Darkstalker roared.

"A calculated process of elimination would most likely be your simplest course of action. Otherwise, I am able to scan the existence of the creature known as "Darkstalker". This will allow me to peer into your soul and read the data available, thus allowing me to see what enchantments are currently in effect. However, the process can take several days." Solis answered robotically.

"Tch. I was afraid you'd say something like that." Darkstalker then sat down while placing a talon under his chin and sighing. "What am I without my animus powers? Am I even still me anymore?"

"Estimated data shows that you are still the dragon known as Darkstalker." Solis replied as if he was asking a genuine question.

Darkstalker looked at her impatiently before rolling his eyes. He then glanced down at the small dragonet Solis was still holding onto. I've never met that dragon, and I have no memories of my life as Peacemaker. So why do I feel such longing whenever I see him? Darkstalker's eyes grew sad as he watched the small RainWing float within his spherical prison.

"Solis? If my soul continued to exist despite me becoming Peacemaker, then does that mean Peacemaker continues to exist within me?"

"Affirmative." Solis thought and spoke at the same time. Darkstalker figured reading her mind was becoming useless. She never actually thought about anything she didn't say out loud. "The dragon known as Peacemaker is dormant within you."

"Then... that must be why I feel anything for this RainWing..." Darkstalker thought about the names Foeslayer had spoken and thought of before she died. "Niji? Mother cared a lot for this dragonet. She had also cared a lot for Peacemaker..." Darkstalker was beginning to feel sick as he thought about everything that was happening. He closed his eyes and started to hold his torso with both arms.