Chapter 10: The Dual Inferno

About an hour had passed by since Hope, Qibli, Kinkajou, and Turtle left to meet with Queen Glory. Winter sat with a bored expression as he tapped his front claws against the floor while occasionally glancing up to watch Moon play some kind of children's game with Peacemaker and Niji. It was called 'Dragon Says', and it involved Moon telling the children to do something inane as they tried to copy her instructions. Winter also noticed how Niji slowly acted less scared around Winter as the time went by.

Moon seems really good at this babysitting thing. I can't imagine ever being that good with children. Too much of a headache. Winter thought to himself and to Lunae, who he had been silently conversing with while he rested.

Oh? Do you not have any plans of having dragonets yourself one day? Lunae boldly inquired.

Excuse me? You do know that me and Qibli are both males, right? I hoped you would understand at least that much about dragon anatomy. Winter retorted.

Lunae scoffed. You do know that copulation isn't the only way to acquire offspring, correct? You could always adopt an egg or a parentless child.

Winter's face began to cool with blush. Okay, okay. Let's just drop that subject. Please?

Sorry Winter. I may have a little too much fun learning about you and your teenage insecurities.

Teenage? Winter thought as he didn't recognize that word.

Lunae answered swiftly. It is what scavengers use to refer to the developing years of older children and young adults.

I see. You know Lunae? I could actually learn a lot about scavengers with you around. I've been studying them for so long, but I never would have imagined I'd be friends with one on the same level of a dragon.

Friends? Lunae paused shortly. I am glad you think of me that way. I suppose, in a way, you are also my friend.

Winter was a little surprised. I would hope so, considering how much we have to rely on each other. Besides, you've been really kind to me. Despite your straightforwardness.

Hmm? Kind is not a word I'd personally use to describe myself with. Lunae sounded a little cold.

Winter was too focused on his talk with Lunae that he was surprised when he felt a small claw poke his snout while he rested. "Huh?" He looked to the side of him to see that Niji had been the perpetrator. The little dragonet child had taken a seat close by him and looked at Winter with wide eyes.

"You're white." Niji muttered shyly.

Winter smiled as he failed to contain a laugh. "Yes. I suppose I am." The little dragon's forthright question amused him.

I suppose this might be his first time meeting an IceWing, after all.

Moon walked over to where Niji and Winter were, Peacemaker close behind her. "Niji. That isn't something you should say to another dragon."

Winter continued to smile. "It's fine Moon. I think the little guy is kind of cute, actually."

Niji giggled as he waddled over to Peacemaker and away from Winter. "Winter said I'm cute!" He squeaked while giggling some more.

"Dats cause you are cute!" Peacemaker shouted as he hugged his RainWing friend.

Moon looked at Peacemaker and Niji warmly. "Aww! I'm glad you don't mind them Winter. They're really sweet kids after all."