25: after

May
1995

Andrea had told him not to go outside but Peter had already spent too much time imprisoned. He didn't listen to her, and walked through downtown LA without a single paparazzi following him. The press had leaked a lot of information about him, but the location of his motel was still safe, somehow.

The world now knew him by the worst thing he had ever done. The thing that followed him through life like a great cloud of guilt and shame. And now, the press followed him too. Or, at least, tried to.

They didn't know what his favourite coffee shop in LA was.

When he walked through the door, he desperately hoped that Roy hadn't seen his face in the tabloids, hadn't read the terrible things they were saying about him. Hoped that Roy didn't make the connection between the Danny Peter had told him about and the Daniel he had seen in the cinema. He just needed this to be normal. Needed Roy to be normal. Simple. Maybe the only simple thing in his life left.

"Hey." Roy smiled brightly at him when he entered and Peter instantly knew that he was safe. Roy didn't know anything. He didn't read gossip magazines. Of course he didn't. This was the boy from Idaho who loved sandwiches and sunsets. He didn't care about celebrity gossip. He was better than that.

"Hi." Peter's face melted into a relieved smile. He couldn't pretend to be someone else forever-someone good and innocent-but maybe the world would give him just a little longer. A little longer with Roy. "How you doing?"

Roy shrugged, "It's slow." He turned around to check his manager wasn't around, then fixed his brown eyes back onto Peter, "It's always slow these days." He said quietly, "Think this place is on its last legs."

Peter rose his brows questioningly, "The first time I came in there were tons of people here."

"Mornings are good." Roy agreed, "We get a rush from the commuters. But then we die. It's incredibly dull."

Peter leant against the counter, "What're you going to do if this place shuts down?"

Roy took a deep breath, contemplating his answer for a moment, "I'm not sure. I know I need to grow up soon, get a proper job and all that. Maybe someplace where I need to wear a suit and sit at a desk." There was disappointment in his voice.

"That's it?" Peter replied flatly, "You sound miserable just talking about it."

Roy laughed, "I suppose. But isn't that what we're all destined for? Office jobs?" He fiddled with the tie on his apron distractedly. "Hey, let me make you a drink otherwise I'll get told off for talking too much." He grinned.

"Sure." Peter reached into his pocket for his loose notes, "Make me whatever you like. How much do I owe you?"

Roy snorted, "Don't be stupid, Peter. I'm not making you pay." He glanced around again, looking for his manager, "But hey, if Nancy asks, I already charged you, okay?"

Peter couldn't contain his smile. Something about the way Roy said his name made his chest feel warm. He clung to that sensation, because it wouldn't last long. Eventually, Roy was going to find out who he was. What he had done. But until that moment, Peter was going to soak up as much of Roy's smile as he could. "Thanks." He said finally.

When Roy turned around and began fiddling with the coffee machine, his manager appeared from the back door. She hesitated when she saw Peter, her eyes narrowing and head cocking to the side. "Do I know you?" She asked curiously.

He dug his hands into his pockets nervously, and offered her a shrug, "Uh...no, I don't think so." He smiled sheepishly.

"Huh." She continued staring at him, "You look so familiar."