Chapter 8

Grace checked Ransom's office when she made it into the office, seeing it was empty. She went into her office and tried calling him, but it kept going straight to voicemail. She groaned seeing Walt come into her office.

"Where is Ransom?"

She stood up from her desk, "I don't know!" She sighed, "it hasn't even been two weeks yet and I'm going mental."

Walt nodded, "I know Grace. Do you think you can actually do this? Run it with him? He's never going to step up."

She crossed her arms in front of her chest, "he has to. I can't do this alone."

"I know." He leaned against the doorframe, "what are you going to do?"

She sighed, "I have to go look for him. I can't keep chasing after him when I have my own work to do." She grabbed her stuff, seeing a look of pity from Walt as she walked past him.

*********************************************************************

Grace drove to the pier they went to all the time as kids, not seeing Ransom. She heard State of Grace come on the radio as she drove to the Thrombey house, groaning as she changed the station. She pulled into the driveway, getting out to knock on the door. No one answered so she let herself in, seeing Fran come into the room.

"Oh Grace, what are you doing here?"

Grace sighed as she saw Linda come into the foyer, "I was wondering if Ransom was here." She watched them both look at each other and shake their heads.

Linda approached her, "he isn't, why?"

Grace shook her head, "I don't know where he is. I knew it was going to be difficult, but not this bad. He seemed to be doing fine until he became overwhelmed and disappeared."

Linda nodded, "he does that. Want me to let you know if I hear from him? I'm supposed to see him on Thursday."

"What's Thursday?"

Linda smiled, "my birthday. He takes me out to dinner every year, he never fails to show up."

Grace nodded, "right. Well, let me know if he doesn't show up. Let him know I was looking for him and to answer his fucking phone if you talk to him?"

Linda laughed, "I will relay the message." Once Grace left Linda climbed the stairs to the attic office where Ransom was, "is there a reason I'm lying to this girl?"

Ransom shrugged, "I don't want to talk about it."

"If you want me to lie for you, then you need to tell me why Ransom."

Ransom stood up from the couch. "Then I'll leave," he huffed as he stormed out of the room.

******************************************************************************

After going to all of Ransom's normal spots that she knew about, Grace went back to Ransom's apartment. She knocked, not hearing anyone before letting herself in. She sighed, removing her shoes and coat before going into the bedroom and crawling into his bed, hoping he returned home soon.

******************************************************************************

It was dark when Grace woke up to the front door shutting. She stood up, making it to the doorway of his bedroom to see him attached to a girl. She groaned, Ransom hearing her and turning towards her.

"Gracey? What are you doing here?"

She shook her head, avoiding his gaze as she pushed past him to put her shoes back on. "I was worried about you. I shouldn't have come."

Ransom groaned as the girl stood there confused, "Gracey wait." She ignored him, putting on her coat before leaving and slamming the door behind her. "Fuck!"

"Who was that? Was that your girlfriend? You didn't tell me you had a girlfriend."

Ransom rolled his eyes at the girl, "not my girlfriend. Can you just go please."

The girl scoffed, "but we haven't done anything yet."

"I don't care! Get out!"

The girl huffed, "okay. Fine!"

Ransom kicked the couch as the girl left before going into the bedroom. He laid down on the bed, staring at the ceiling as the scent of Grace in his bed lingered in the air.

*****************************************************************************

Linda looked at her watch, worried he wasn't going to show up before seeing Ransom approaching her table. "Oh there you are."

Ransom half smiled, kissing him mom on the cheek, "here I am. Happy birthday mom."

"Thank you son." She nodded as she watched him, avoiding her gaze as he looked at the menu. "Ransom. What is going on with you lately? You've always been scattered, disappearing randomly. But ever since Harlan died, you've been much worse."

Ransom shrugged, "I don't know that I'm being any different than normal."

She chuckled, "right son. Maybe it isn't Harlan, but the reappearance of Grace in your life?"

Ransom sighed, staring down at the table, "please don't."

Linda scoffed, "oh come on. I'm your mother. You've been in love with that girl since you were 16 years old. You treated her like shit and she still followed you everywhere. What does that tell you?"

He shook his head, "yeah. I treated her like shit, and she's learned she's too good for me now. So I don't know why you feel the need to bring it up."

"That doesn't mean she doesn't still love you Ransom. She was going crazy trying to find you the other day. She was worried about you."

He sighed, "well you can worry about someone and love someone without being in love with them." He looked past Linda, seeing someone he thought he recognized. He felt his face become red with anger as he watched them sit a few tables from them.

Linda turned around to see what Ransom was looking at to see a man with a girl all over him, "is that..?"

Ransom stood up, tossing his napkin on the table, "yes."