Chapter 18

Ransom leaned down to Grace's ear, "what's the big deal?"

She looked up at him, "they hate you, remember?"

He shrugged, "that was a long time ago Gracey."

She groaned, "it doesn't matter." She smiled as her parents approached them, "mom! Dad! What are you doing here? You didn't tell me you were coming for a visit!" She hugged them both as they both eyed Ransom.

Karen, her mother looked at Ransom, "well we heard you weren't with Tyler anymore."

Grace groaned, looking from Ransom to her mother, "how did you know that?"

Karen shrugged, "Tyler called us."

Ransom sighed, holding out his hand to them, "Mr. and Mrs. Carson. It's nice to see you."

Brian, her father only nodded, ignoring Ransom. He looked at her hand, eyeing Ransom's engagement ring, holding it up, "what is this? You go straight from Tyler to him?!"

Grace pulled her arm away as she stood in front of Ransom, "it isn't like that. You know Ransom and I have a history." She hesitated, "we just bought a house. There are plenty of rooms, why don't you stay with us?"

Brian laughed, "no way am I staying in a house with him."

Grace looked back at Ransom to see him clench his jaw. She turned to face him, placing her hand on his chest, "why don't you go get in the car." He hesitated but nodded as he passed them to get into her car. Grace turned to her parents, "what are you doing here?"

"I told you, Tyler called me and said you were no longer together. What happened? Were you with Ransom this whole time?"

"Oh my god, no!" Grace looked at the ground and then back up at her mother, "Tyler and I didn't work out. Simple as that. If you would like to get to know Ransom better, then I would love that. Otherwise, I don't want to talk about Tyler."

Karen shook her head, "come to dinner with us tonight. Without Ransom."

Grace sighed, "fine. Text me a time and place." She brushed past them to get into the car with Ransom. "I'm sorry about them Ransom."

He shook his head, "don't worry about it love. I get it. Sort of."

She looked at him, smiling, "they want me to have dinner with them later. Just me."

He nodded, "okay."

********************************************************************************

Grace sighed as she found her parents at the restaurant. She sat down, seeing a seat next to her, "expecting someone?" Before her mother could answer she heard his voice behind her.

"Gracey!"

She groaned as Tyler sat next to her. She looked at her mother, "just us, huh? What is this? I told you we aren't together anymore."

Brian shrugged, "and why not? Is this because of Ransom?"

Before Grace could answer, Tyler noticed the engagement ring on her finger, "you really move on quickly, don't you!"

"It's none of your business! We aren't together anymore! Did you even tell them why? Or did you just happen to leave out that part?"

"Come on Grace, Ransom? He treated you like shit."

Grace shook her head at her father, "we were both kids. He's come a long way. And at least he would never cheat on me like Tyler did with who knows how many women."

Brian shrugged, "men cheat when they're being neglected at home. Maybe you shouldn't have been giving all your attention to Ransom."

Grace stared at her father in shock for a moment as she heard Tyler snicker next to her. "I didn't sleep with Ransom until after we broke up. Also, it isn't my job to govern his dick. It's his. I can't believe this." She rested her head in her hands.

Ransom entered the restaurant to pick up food when he saw Grace eating with her parents and Tyler. He felt his face turn red with anger until he saw Grace look up with tears in her eyes. He groaned, going to the table, "Gracey, love."

Grace looked up at Ransom as he held his hand out to her. She grabbed it to stand up as she felt Tyler stand up next to her.

"I don't recall you being invited."

Ransom shook his head, "you better sit back down. I only need one good arm to beat the shit out of you."

Grace groaned as she heard her father scoff, "this is the man you choose?"

Grace nodded, grabbing Ransom's hand, "yes. You can live with it. Or you can't." She looked up at Ransom who was still glaring at Tyler, "take me home Ransom. Please."

Ransom looked down at her, instantly calm as he nodded. "Of course love. Let's go."

She followed him to her car as he held the door open for her, "you aren't supposed to drive. How did you get here?" She moved, making him sit in the passenger seat as she climbed into the driver's side.

"I had Meg drop me off. I was going to Uber home. I didn't know this is where you were having dinner. I swear I didn't follow you."

Grace laughed, turning to face him as she placed her hand on his cheek, "I believe you. I swear I didn't know they invited Tyler."

He sighed, "I believe you love. I'm sorry they did that. I guess they really hate me, huh?"

She groaned as she began to drive, "they really do."

*********************************************************************

Once Ransom was sure that Grace was asleep, he snuck quietly out of the house to the hotel. He knocked and waited nervously for someone to answer. He looked up as the door opened, "I'm really sorry for the late intrusion, but can we talk?"

Brian sighed, looking at Karen who only shrugged, "fine. Come in."