Chapter 19

Ransom entered their hotel room, sitting in a chair in the corner. "Look, I know you guys don't like me. I know that has a lot to do with how I treated Gracey when we were teenagers. I know I hurt her, over and over again. But I love her so much. And I was a stupid kid. I've grown up a lot since then and we are in a good place. We work together. She's even helped me publish my first book. We just bought a new house. And we are getting married, whether you like it or not. But I know that Gracey would love it if you were on board. I know she wants you involved and cares about what you think. I just want us to get along. For her sake. Please."

Brian sighed, "we just want her to be happy. But we think it's kind of soon for her to go so quickly from Tyler to you."

Ransom shrugged, "it may seem soon to people on the outside. But Gracey and I have been leading to this moment our whole lives." He stood up, "I've been in love with your daughter since I was a teenager. We've both avoided each other for long enough." He walked to the table, grabbing a pen and notepad. He wrote their address on it, "now I know you aren't going to suddenly change your mind overnight. But please, at least think about it. For Gracey's sake. I wrote our address on the paper. We still have boxes because we literally just moved in, but breakfast is at 8. I hope to see you then. Goodnight."

*********************************************************************************

Grace woke up in the morning to an empty bed. She groaned, seeing it was just after 7. She stood up to see clothes hanging on the closet door for her. She hesitated, but grabbed them and went to the bathroom to get cleaned up and dressed. She followed noises into the kitchen to find Ransom making breakfast. She wrapped her arms around his torso from behind, "good morning."

Ransom chuckled, "morning love."

She pulled away, looking at the food, "how many people are you planning on feeding breakfast this morning? The whole neighborhood?"

Ransom laughed, looking at the time to see it was almost 8. "Maybe."

She looked into the dining room to see he had set the table for four people, "Ransom? Who did you invite for breakfast in our mess of a house we haven't even unpacked yet?"

He hesitated, thankful he didn't have to answer as there was a knock on the front door. He heard Grace huff and go to answer the door.

Grace opened the front door to find her parents standing in front of her, "what are you doing here?"

"I invited them for breakfast to talk."

She turned back to Ransom as he came into the foyer. She sighed, moving to let them in. She took their coats to hang on the coat rack as she motioned around, "I'm sorry it's all still a mess. We just moved in. We're still getting settled."

Karen nodded, "it's fine dear."

Grace sighed, leading them to the dining room, "I'll get the coffee." She followed Ransom into the kitchen, hitting him in the chest, "you could have warned me!"

He shrugged, "I wanted to surprise you. I thought we could hopefully work through our differences. I love you Gracey. I'm sorry."

She groaned, "yeah. I love you too." She heard him laugh as she took poured coffee, taking some to her parents before helping Ransom bring food into the dining room.

Karen smiled as they sat down, "thanks for making breakfast Grace."

She shrugged, "actually, Ransom made breakfast. He usually does. We split dinner usually." She saw her parents look at each other, "yeah. You guys just assumed you knew Ransom. And you don't. You knew him as a teenager. He isn't the same."

"Gracey, love. Calm down." Ransom placed his right hand on her hand but she shrugged it off.

"No! They think they can just show up here and intrude on my life as if they know anything about it! And then try to shove Tyler on me after I've already moved on. Tyler was a piece of shit and he didn't treat me well or make me happy. Ransom does both. And I love him."

Brian sighed, rolling his eyes. "You aren't a teenager anymore Grace. Don't you think it's time to move on from this teenage fantasy? Ransom isn't your knight in shining armor that will come and carry you away from your mundane existence like a damn princess in a child's story." He motioned his hands around him, "we can all see it's just about the money."

"What?!"

"Gracey."

Grace once more pulled her hand away from Ransom as she stood up from the table, "you don't know anything about it! Ransom and I bought this house 50/50. I run and am head editor of one of the most prominent publishing companies on the east coast! I have my own money. I don't need or want Ransom's money! It was never about that and it never will be."

Ransom sighed as he watched Grace storm from the room. He stood up, looking at her parents, "I'm sorry. I think you should leave. I thought we could work this out, but it seems you don't know your daughter at all. And frankly she's happier when you aren't around. And her happiness is my number one priority now." Once they were gone, he went upstairs to find Grace pacing in their room. "Gracey." He leaned against the doorframe. "Don't listen to them. I love you. That's all that matters."

Grace nodded, stopping to look at him as tears streaked her cheeks, "I love you Ransom." She heard him sigh as she wrapped her arms around him, burying her head in his chest.