Chapter 13

It had been a month. Betty nor Jughead had dared to mention their near-kiss, preferring to pretend it didn't even happen. 

They couldn't speak about it, but it didn't stop their minds from whirring over the moment. That's the thing about feelings, they're always there waiting. Even if you've locked them tight away out of sight, they'll never be out of mind. 

They hadn't seen each other more than twice that month. Maybe because of that moment, more likely because of how busy they were. Betty had started her therapy sessions and spent every other hour either resting or going through all the work she was missing at school. Jughead had stepped up into his serpent duties, his life crowded by cheering serpents and a persistent father. They were just too busy for each other. 

"Hi Pop" Betty smiled sweetly as she walked up to the counter, slower than usual and gripping the surface when she got here. 

"Betty! How are you doing?" he asked softly, filled with concern. 

"A lot better, just trying to walk on my ankle a bit more"

"Well let me fix your usual order, are you eating in?" he questioned, watching as the girl winced slightly.

"No um I'm just grabbing food for me and my mum" she explained with a weak smile. 

"No problem, it'll be ready soon. Go take a seat" he assured, nodding at her before he walked to the back kitchen. She turned around, her eyes scanning the diner before they set on a certain familiar boy. 

"Hey stranger" she chuckled breathlessly as she reached his booth, the boy's head snapping up in response to her sweet voice. 

"Betts, hey woah be careful" he ushered, quickly getting up and helping her into the other side of the booth "Should you be walking around yet? Without crutches?"

"I already got the lecture from my mum, I just want to try" she chuckled brushing him off "Besides that, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages"

"That's because you haven't" he sighed "Things have gotten in the way, I feel like this is my first day alone in a while"

"Oh- I can leave if you need a break! I'm sorry I-"

"No! No, I like you being here" he assured, grabbing her hand over the table "I've missed you"

Her eyes flickered down to their hands, smiling at his warm touch "I've missed you too"

The silence between them mulled for a while, Betty's eyes on their hands and Jughead's on anything else he could catch sight of. 

"We should hang out....this weekend? If you're not busy" she suggested, finally breaking the hushed scene. 

"Yeah...yeah, I'd like that. Very much" he smiled "I'll plan something? We can go out somewhere nice"

"Great! It's a date!" the words tumbled out before she considered them, her eyes widening when he raised an eyebrow "I mean- uhm figure of speech?"

He chuckled softly, squeezing her hand "It's a date"

---

Betty stared at herself in the mirror, her bottom lip caught between teeth as she pondered over her outfit choice. He had told her it was casual and so she had just opted for a comfy pair of black leggings paired with a pretty floral tank top. He'd also mentioned they'd be outside, so she had shrugged on a sherpa jacket over the top. 

Mid-thought, the doorbell rang and she instantly made a beeline for the stairs "I'll get it!!!"

"Hey Betts" he greeted as soon as she flung the door open "You uhm...you look really pretty"