Chapter 15

"We can, I'm free-"

"Betty you know what I mean" he sighed, wrapping one of his locks around his fingers nervously. 

"I'm not sure I do" she frowned, picking up her phone again as she fought to stay awake. 

"I want it to be more than just meeting up, like friends you know. Fuck this is selfish, but I don't know how I'm supposed to keep on pretending you're only a friend"

"Jug...."

"I know, I know you're not ready and you're scared and I'm not trying to force you into anything. I just need you to know that you're more than that to me. I can't stop thinking about you Betts, your laugh and your smile and every time you get into a mood about some book or film. That ridiculously loud laugh that anyone could hear from across the world" he chuckled "You're smart and brave, braver than anyone I know. And you've made me a braver person"

Betty sat up from her comfortable position, crossing her legs and letting out a soft sigh. Everything he said made her heart flutter, butterflies swirl in her stomach and her lips curve into a smile. 

"And I'm sorry for springing all of this on you but-"

"Jug, stop. It's okay, and if I could tell you the same things I would. It's not that I don't feel the same way- because I do- and the feelings are there. But you're right, I'm not ready. I just got out of the worst relationship, and I really am doing better. I think about it all less, I feel freer and less ashamed of what happened" she smiled "But I'm worried that if I jump straight back into a relationship, all of that progress will go back to square one. I know you won't be like him, but I also want to be on my own before I let someone else back in"

"I get that Betts" he assured "And I don't expect you to commit to anything"

"But I don't want that to ruin us, just because there are some feelings between us doesn't mean we can't be friends...right?"

"Right" he nodded quickly. He'd rather be friends and keep his feelings as just feelings than lose her completely "Of course we can"

"Thanks Jug...I really appreciate it" she whispered, laying back down to curl up under her covers "I'm gonna get some sleep"

"Okay....night"

"Goodnight"

Jughead tapped the red button before dropping his phone on the bed with a loud sigh, staring up at the ceiling. Friends? That could work. 

---

About a week after their agreement, Jughead had asked Betty if she wanted to have lunch with him at Pop's. She was going back to school on Monday and his secret motivation was to check in on her and make sure she was coping with the large change. 

Luckily she had agreed, and he was getting ready to leave the trailer "Dad I'm going out, I'll be back tonight"

"Where are you going?" FP asked from the small wooden table in the kitchen, sipping his black coffee. 

"To meet Betty for lunch, but we'll probably hang out until this evening" he shrugged. 

"You're spending an awful lot of time with her, is that why you missed the meeting yesterday?"

"I didn't miss it, I cancelled it" Jughead sighed "There's a difference"

He was running from a truth that would ruin his relationship with FP, a truth that the serpent life was not fit for him. He knew full well his father had dreamed this life for him for years, and smashing that hope to pieces filled him with more guilt than he could describe. But it wasn't his father's life, it was his. 

"Don't get snarky with me boy" he warned "You've cancelled three of them now, is it because of her?"

He rolled his eyes "No dad it's not Betty's fault, it's because I have other things to do and more important commitments"

"More important than your own gang?" he scoffed. 

"More important than some dumb meeting about weapon trades and ignorant elder serpents" he argued. 

"I thought you were going to take this seriously! Boy, I kept you in charge despite my doubts, I gave you chance after chance to succeed in your position. You're bringing shame upon my integrity and reputation!"

"Then drop me, put someone else in my place! I really don't care anymore, I never wanted this path and I still don't. I agreed for you, for you to pay attention to your own damn son and for once be proud of me! But you know what it just made me feel sick, watching you proud of me for being an angry and violent person. I guess I'm just not my father's son" he scowled, slamming his fist down on the table in frustration. He was done with this, done with trying to impress and done with his father's attempt to live vicariously through him. 

"You've got one thing right, you're no son of mine" 

I hate making FP the bad guy, but at the same time he fits it so well😂