Late Night Snacks

"SHIT! I forgot to get her name!"

Kate groaned and rolled her eyes at her own stupidity.

"Man, that's one of my favorite jackets. Why'd I think, 'oh, here take this. Give it to me later.' was a great idea."  Kate ranted to Lucky.

They rolled up to a stop sign. Kate took the moment to stop fully and turn to Lucky.

"Like what do I do? I can't just go back to her house and ask for her number." She huffed out and laid her head on the steering wheel.

"Whatever, this is a later me problem."

She took a minute to collect her thoughts before continuing to their destination. She glanced at the time to see it was 2:41 AM. 'Wow, we were there for a while.' she thought.

They pulled into a parking lot of a small diner. The lights were on the inside. A small neon 'open' sign hung by the door.

"I -" Lucky hopped to the front, bumping Kate. He stood with his back legs on the middle console and his front ones on Kate's thigh.

"Someone looks like they're ready for some food." Kate laughed. His tail was wagging so fast he could fly away if he wanted. A small whine leaves his mouth as he looks at her with actual puppy dog eyes. Well, eye.

"Ok, ok, chill. We're going." Kate said, grabbing his lead.

They had been to this place many times before. Maybe a little too many. This is their favorite place to get food and sacks at any time. It was a 24/7 open diner run by a family friend.

Kate opened the door and let her pup out first, then got out herself. A chill ran up her back as they made their way to the entrance. Kate realized at that moment her back was soaked from the snow.

She picked up her pace to the door, which Lucky had no problem with. Kate ripped the door open, trying to stop ice from forming on her back.

The sound of a bell filled diner with the door opening and closing.

"We'll be with you in a second." A man called out.

Kate walked up to the counter. Lucky followed her and sat by her feet. She rubbed her hands together, trying to warm them.

"Alrighty, what can I do for yo-" The man walked around the corner. Kate immediately smiled at seeing her friend. It wasn't the face she expected, but she was happy nonetheless.

"Oh, hey, Kate." The man said.

"Hey, Grills. Where's your mom?" She asked.

"Mom had to go to the hospital a few days ago." Grills said.

"Oh shit! What happened."

"Naw, she's fine now but ended up breaking her hip, so that's why she not able to be here. So I ended up going on a leave of absence from work to help here. How are you two?" he asked, looking between the girl and the dog.

"I'm glad she's ok and so happy to see you. Also, Lucky is a good boy, as always. And well, you know just trying to not get mobbed by reporters." She chuckled.