Smile

From the day you met, and throughout your relationship, how come she's never seen you smile? Maybe once, but never again. 

Sylvie had been anticipating the moment for when you would forget to cover your mouth whenever you laugh, or hide your face whenever a grin starts to arise. It was all she could think about.

Years through being a puppet to that manipulative association you were brainwashed to be a marionette for, it was difficult to smile after that. 

You suppressed your feelings deep inside, not bothering to smile, fear, nor shed a tear, for it would make you look weak, right? 

Going through the difficult situation, it felt foreign to smile genuinely. It didn't feel right to express your emotions.

Have you kept them in for so long? 

But, even so with your 'problems' Sylvie knew you were perfect all throughout. 

She's made beauty with your flaws, and proved them not to be mistakes but something unique to difference you from the others, to make you special. 

You were arranging some books through the shelf filled with them, not until your lovely wife comes in with a puzzled look, "Penny for your thoughts?"

"Y/n, may I ask a question?"

"Of course, you don't have to ask for permission for a silly question," You shook your head, covering your simper with the small book you were holding. 

"Why won't you show me your smile?" She draws the journal down, however your smile had already dropped to a confused expression, making her sigh.

"Why? Does it upset you that I smile too less?" 

"It doesn't upset me, it concerns me. Trust me, darling, there's a difference," Sylvie positions her pair of hands on your arms, "I don't mean to exaggerate the situation, but I dont think I've ever seen you smile," 

"There's nothing to be concerned about, my dear. It's just.." You didn't know how to give this feeling a meaning, why does it have to be so difficult to explain? 

"I know you, Y/n, you don't cut your sentences over nothing," Sylvie leads you to the couch, her hand running up and down your back, "..Are you insecure about it?" 

"Insecure," You scoffed at the word, though your mind seems to hesitate within it, "Do I seem like it?" 

You were genuine. 

Out of years pretending to be a tough soldier, like the others, you were worried to even have an ounce of weakness. 

"Would it sadden you if I said I think you are?" Sylvie replied, making you more speechless, unable to reply to her questions. 

Instead, she gently intertwined her hand with yours. 

"Y/n, I'm the luckiest woman alive to even have you, yet you're so worried for your smile?" Her soft laugh reassured you that she was sincere, "The first time you grinned, I was tripping for you!" 

"Oh, stop it," 

"I'm serious, my love," 

She places her fingers over the corners of your lips, raising them into a smile, until you actually broke into her schemes and smiled.

Her eyes twinkled at your reaction, glad to make you happy, to be at your side and having the opportunity to be so vulnerable with you. 

"You're so beautiful when you smile,"  You leaned into her touch. Maybe it wasn't so bad to let go of that emotionless cover-up after all, "I'd love to see it every day," 

~~

How many times have I written smile? 

-❤️