prologue

═══════════ ∘♡༉∘ ═══════════

A young Nick stood behind his step mother and his father. The heat was getting to him so he let out a sigh. This caught the attention of his parents who were talking to an old friend of his step mother. "Hot?" the other woman asked.

Nick pursed his lips and nodded shyly. His father laughed and shook his head, "Texas born and yet not used to this heat." He joked. His step mother Marianne hit him jokingly, "Oh shush it Andrew. It's okay we can go inside." She offered and her old friend agreed.

"Yes of course! Oh. I think Nick is getting bored as well, aren't you little man?" the older woman who he had learned was named Criselda asked him. Nick shrugged making her laugh, "Well I have a daughter just the same age as you. Let me see where she is." The woman muttered as they walked in the house.

"Jen! Ineng! Pumarine ka muna!" (Honey! Come here for a second!) Criselda yelled. Nick furrowed his eyebrows. He had heard Marianne speak in Tagalog multiple times because she and Andrew wanted his little sister to be exposed to both Greek and Filipino cultures but this was a whole new level.

Nick's confusion was broken when he heard laughter and padding of feet from the stairs. There descending down the stairs was a little girl, just about his height wearing a yellow dress being chased by an older boy.

"Mama! Si kuya Deej!" (kuya means older brother) the girl whined as she hid behind the leg of her mother. Criselda sent an eyebrow raise at the older boy, "Daniel. May bisita. Go and check on your mother please." (We have guests.) She said.

The boy nodded and smiled at Nick before walking out of the house. "Sorry about that." Criselda apologized but Andrew waved her off. "Well, Jen this is Nick. The son of one of my old friends." Criselda said as she ushered her daughter forwards.

Pushing the yellow dress wearing girl forward as Andrew did the same with him. "Hi." The girl said with a smile. Nick gulped and stared at her. She was pretty he had to admit but what did he knew, he was a young boy then.

"Nick don't be rude." Andrew scolded his son. The boy hummed and nodded, "Hi." He said sending her a small smile. Jen chuckled and offered her hand, Nick looked at it confused. She sighed and walked closer, "Come on. They're boring." She whispered.

Nick looked past her and realized that the adults went back to chatting making him sigh. He looked back at the girl and she raised an eyebrow at him. He huffed and grabbed her hand making her giggle.

Jen pulled the boy out of the house making Criselda yell, "Ineng! Wag masyadong malayo!" (Honey! Not too far!) "Yes mama!"

The trip to the Philippines was memorable. Something Sapnap never forgot. But he did have one regret, it was to not contact the girl that had befriended him. He always wondered what the yellow dress wearing girl had ended up to.

He hoped she got to chase her dreams of being chef. He hoped she was living her life. He hoped she was living in a beautiful home, working in the fanciest restaurants and that one day they could see each other again.

The little girl from the Philippines that taught Nick that meeting people was not supposed to be scary. That people can be nice. And that people can dream and be who they are.

Nick wished he had made a great impact on her like she was to him. He can only wish.