Chapter 2: the 'orientation'

Our teacher, Mr. Aizawa, explained the idea behind the test and also lectured us on "fun" and fairness as the result of the annoyance caused by some of my classmates. The green haired boy was looking even more nervous than usual. Well, Memoria, my man, you are gonna have to get over it.

Although I observed my new classmates carefully and tried to learn their names to the best of my natural human ability, I will not report them in detail here. Bakugou was impressive though, kind of reminds me of myself before the training. From what I recall hearing back then, he's the one who was captured by that sludge villain. And Midoriya is the one that saved him. No wonder Bakugou is irritated by his being in the same class if he's anything like I imagine he is.

I placed nearly at rock bottom of the class for the assessment. I wasn't surprised; my quirk 'wind' allows me to transform my body into gas form. That meant I was great at the 50-meter dash, transforming myself back just in time for the robot to register my result, and the standing long jump, as the momentum I gained in the air moved me quite far. They both needed precision but that I had drilled for months on end. The long-distance run was a breeze. And as much as I hate to admit it, my previous strength training enabled me to be at least average in everything else.

But average isn't good enough, especially if you're in U.A. The average here is crazy high thanks to my wonderful classmates. The diversity of their quirks could prove to be a thorn in my side if Mr. Sleeping Bag keeps threatening us with expulsion. So, if I'm speaking in hero terms, I was very much below average. But Midoriya was below me in everything besides the ball throw. Thankfully he wasn't expelled but watching him struggle reminded me how I admired his drive. I had seen it once during the sludge villain incident, but I had never forgotten it.

I was re-trained to be quiet and not draw a lot of attention to myself (because I'm weak – but that didn't stop me from standing up for what I believe in). That's why I was surprised when Uraraka called me to join Tenya, Midoriya and herself.

"Hey, you're the one who can manipulate air," Tenya said to catch my attention.

"Well, not really, but close enough," I smiled. "I'm Gojo Y/n. Nice to meet you!"

After a millisecond pause, I added: "No need to introduce yourselves, I picked up your names during the test today."

Uraraka smiled, Midoriya looked embarrassed and Tenya continued.

"Well, I hope we'll get along as fellow classmates."

"I bet we will!" I responded with a genuine smile. My smiles were always genuine unless I was faking them. Duh.

"Are you going to the station?" Uraraka asked.

"No, I never take the train when I can blow home, you know, as wind."

Midoriya looked surprised and as if he was resisting the urge to note something down. Tenya didn't like my comment.

"Isn't that irresponsible as an aspiring hero to neglect the importance of paying your transportation fees?"

"Mother Nature gave us legs for free and I just happened to get this quirk in addition. I don't see how they're any different. It's not dangerous and I'm not putting anyone else in danger either."

"I guess that makes sense. But it's against the rules to use your quirk outside of school, especially in public."

I looked down at my feet. "Screw the rules," I said quietly.

I was saved by my phone ringing. "Sorry, I have to take this one. See you tomorrow!" I waved my classmates goodbye and ran ahead to answer the phone in more privacy.