Chapter 9: into the shadows

It was the day of the sports festival. I was sitting in the box designated for 1-A and watching from above. I hadn't spoken to Satorou, the insides of my mind were a mess.

I chuckled as I heard Bakugou very seriously declare that he'll win, and I laughed at the others' reaction to his little speech. That was sweet of him ...but I have a feeling he didn't do it only for me.

I had done some research on the villains that had attacked USJ, and I had a rather good understanding of who I'm trying to avoid. Yes, I was planning to sneak off. I couldn't explain it, but I had a feeling that something was conspiring behind the scenes as everybody had their attention on the festival. Just like the Ancient Romans at the Colosseum. Bread and entertainment. Even the arena looked similar now that I thought about it.

Because – come on! – not being allowed to participate in this three-times-in-a-lifetime event just because I didn't show up to training once is overdoing it a bit. Someone was pulling the strings and I wasn't sure who, or why. I could only guess but I was smart enough to look for evidence first instead of judging based on my emotions or hunches. I regretted it every time I let my emotions control me.

The race ended and the cavalry battle started. Poor Midoriya with his ten million points! But everyone was fighting hard. Looking back at the one-on-one battles, it seems like Hatsume had a similar idea to mine. And Bakugou won. I guess he's a man of his word. I'll tell him that when I return.

It was time to leave to catch the train to Hosu. One of the most well-known villains at the time Hero Killer: Stain was active there so that made Hosu the hub for all sort of evil stuff. Or at least I hoped.

The city was quiet, and the sun was starting to set when I arrived. I might have made a huge mistake, I realized. In trying to avoid acting based on my emotions, I did exactly that. There was no good reason for me to be here, nor was I safe. My only hope was that the villains had never seen me. And I had him to thank for that. Right, Satorou.

I texted him writing "I'm somewhere in Hosu if you need me, and I hope at some point you do".

What's with me? That's a ridiculous message. Send. Done.

If there was one thing I forgot to worry about constantly, it was foresight. I put my phone on silent and left it at one of the lockers at the train station.

"Time to do some sightseeing. Villains instead of monuments, hopefully." But thinking back, I don't think I would have minded if all villains had turned to stone.

I hung around the main street until I had the courage to explore some of the darker ones. But I have my quirk, so I should be fine. Unless this sentence ends up being the famous 'last words' for this generation. In that case I am not fine.

I felt some wind exit one of the alleyways. That means movement. This is it, I thought. I entered the shadows the nearby buildings.