Chapter 14: turning point

I immediately panicked: "I meant that I'm not sure whether I'm okay, not that I'm sure that I'm not okay."

"Calm down, Y/n," he said sternly, but he wasn't yelling which was a plus. "From what I can tell, you've recovered from that lecture," he continued.

"I think so. But there's still some things I need to figure out," I said thoughtfully.

"Did you really have some stupid dream of changing the hero society?"

"I did. And it was flawed. I wanted others to change without realizing that it was I who needed to change."

"Well, obviously."

"I had five days to think about this. To be honest, looking back, I don't see how I could have acted any differently than I did. I didn't know any better."

The words "self-awareness is wasted unless it leads to self-improvement" have never rung truer. If I decide to trust this guy who makes poop jokes for a living, that is.

Bakugou said something, but that is irrelevant.

After we got back from our internships, everybody had much to share. Apparently, the Hero Killer had been arrested by Endeavour. I am lucky I didn't have to face him again. But overall, I was in good spirits: I am meeting Satorou today!

"...I think he's kinda cool," Kaminari said, "What do you think about him, Y/n?"

"About who?" I was caught off guard.

"The Hero Killer Stain, of course!"

"Well, he's quirk was scary, but he spared me so it seemed that he doesn't kill every single passer-by. I can see how some would find him or his ideas cool."

The biggest slip up of the century. Everybody was looking at me with surprised Pikachu faces. I had to fix this. And quick! Honesty is the best policy, but I should be mindful of who needs to know what.

"I ran into him last time I was in Hosu. I think it was the same week the sports festival took place?" I tried to act nonchalant. But the truth was that I was freaking out inside.

Bakugou sent me a knowing look. He must have connected the dots. There was still a visible scar on my face from the cut. Midoriya, Tenya, and Todoroki looked the most shocked, but they didn't say anything. I was very uncomfortable with the energy I had created in the room, and I just wanted to disappear. The tough part was that I totally could but also couldn't at the same time.

Mr. Aizawa's arrival saved me. I took my seat and tried to pay attention, but my mind and heart kept racing. I was in trouble.

After classes finished, I hurried to meet uncle Gojo. I didn't want to do any explaining that day.

The long-awaited reunion took place at my place. He was already waiting for me, wearing his casual clothes and glasses instead of his usual blindfold. No visible injuries if any, as expected.

He had already prepared tea. I was starting to get worried because of his serious expression.

"How did your internship go?"

"It was a good opportunity to reflect. I've decided to give up on that dream," I confessed. "But there's still so much that I haven't figured out."

He smiled. "I'll tell you everything. That should lighten your burden."