chapter 21.

someday
someone will ache for your soul

۵

"You're so different from Rue."

Harry looked up at this. "You know Rue?"

Samantha made a face. "I work here."

"Right, yeah." He thought for second. "I guess I am."

Was he though? Sure he was quiet, but he believed he and Rue got along so well because of their similarities.

"How so?" He pushed on.

Samantha shrugged. She was now restocking treats in the back as Harry chewed on licorice and watched. "You're just so quiet. I know nothing about you and she's so loud and open."

Harry was silent for a moment.

"I like to read." He shared.

Not that that was what she had meant but she took it nonetheless. "Okay."

"Now you know one thing," Harry said.

"I think I like no one knowing who I am though," He continued. Ironic due to his previous dream of everyone knowing of his existence.

"Why, you don't want to be known? Everyone know who you are?"

Harry didn't hesitate before shaking his head no. He liked his little life. He could read at the park, walk to work, even face plant and no one would approach or bother him. He couldn't imagine having all those people surrounding him, calling out to him, just as they had been last night.

"Oh, come on," Samantha laughed, not believing it for a second. "You wouldn't want to be popular for a day? Have all these friends and everyone love you?"

Harry shrugged. "Everyone love me, sure."

"No come on admit it, would you want to be famous?" She pushed even more. Harry grew uncomfortable but he shook his head no. He couldn't figure out why she cared so much for it.

"Not really no," He mumbled. He threw away his empty wrapper and wiped his hands against his slacks. "I better find Rue," He said.

He saw Samantha's face fall slightly. "That's cool." She smiled though she had a strange feeling to her. Harry could feel it. "See you later."

Harry waved goodbye as he walked off. He let out a breath he didn't realize he had been holding in as soon as he was back outside. He shook his head, shaking it off, and carried on to find Rue.

He walked around the empty drive-in until he came to a stop in front of the empty booth. The booth in particular being Rosiah's. Well, tent.

He was sure she was here, as she always was, almost as if she were only there for Louis or Harry. Available for if the two boys ever needed her help.

Not that Harry wanted it - he did not need her. He knew Louis and him had it under control. But that didn't stop his legs from moving and taking him inside. He pulled the flaps to the tent back but stopped before he was even an inch in.

"Hello Harry."

He turned back to see Rosiah standing behind him.

"Jesus," He breathed.

"Sorry," She said. "I didn't mean to scare you."

Harry nodded then awkwardly stared everywhere but her direction.

"Did you need me?"

"No." He said. She raised a brow.

She then nodded accepting it and let her hands fall to her sides. She went quiet for a moment creating a tension in the air that made Harry feel even more uneasy. It was far too awkward for him and just as he went to walk away she spoke again.

"You feel cold." She spoke softly.

"I feel cold." Harry repeated. " You make no sense, i'm leaving."

"No wait," Rosiah stopped him stepping closer. "I know I confuse you but please listen. Your energy feels off to me, it's different."

Harry was about to ask how that could possibly make any sense but he chose to stay quiet.

"It's not your own."

Harry thought about it. He gave in knowing there was no escaping her at this moment. He thought over her what she said and tried to understand what she was implying.

He shrugged. "I don't know, I've been with people all day."

She hummed. "Careful."

Harry found himself rolling his eyes only to feel bad immediately after. She was only trying to help, no need for the attitude she did not deserve.

"What's energy?"

He did have a weird feeling earlier around Samantha but he didn't tell Rosiah because frankly, he probably just wanted to find a reason not to like her. So he didn't say a word. He wouldn't let his jealousy get the best of him.

"There's good and there's bad. You can be affected by someone's bad energy. Say they're having a bad day or in a an awful mood, you being around them so long starts to affect your own. Some can even wish bad upon you."

"Voodoo?"

"Harry," Rosiah said.

"Sounds like voodoo." Harry justified.

She sighed. "The evil eye is a serious matter and should not be joked about, Harry."

But Harry wasn't joking.

"How did this go from energies to an eye that's evil?" He frowned, falling deeper into his confusion.

"This doesn't matter actually, how are you and Louis doing?"

Harry smiled, practically beaming. "Great."

"With the tattoos I mean."

Harry shrugged. "Getting there."

He was sure they were going about it the wrong way but he would do anything Louis said. His plan was a great plan and Harry would pursue whatever Louis wanted him to.

He was no longer listening to whatever was coming out of Rosiah's mouth as his mind was now clouded with only Louis. He missed his company and couldn't stand not being near him. Though he was always so nervous and flustered around him, he loved every minute of their time spent together.

He was giddy and fond of him. He felt foolish.

He wondered if the butterflies and rosiness of his cheeks would ever go away. He wished they never did. He never wanted to grow used to being around Louis or for his heart to stop accelerating every time he saw him.

۵