Chapter 41 Shit show

ERIN'S POV

After changing into black booty shorts, I stare at the bulge of my breasts in the bikini top. Then I remind myself that tonight is the last night I wear this outfit. On that thought, I exit the change room, thinking this night can't end soon enough. Within minutes, I'm pushing through the door that divides the staff only area and the club. The music is thumping as Applause by Lady Gaga plays, and the stench of booze and sexual discontentment is strong in the air.

I stop at the end of the bar where April and two men are busy serving customers. While April pours tequila shots, one man pours a beer from the tap, and the other is pulling change from the cash register. As busy as they are, I sidestep a cardboard box and head for April. "Is Joey in tonight?" I ask.

April nods but doesn't make eye contact. "I haven't seen him yet. Everything ok?"

With my mind made up, I don't see an issue telling her. "Tonight's my last night here. Which is why I need to talk to Joey?"

Her eyes dart to mine in surprise. "You're leaving. Why?"

"It's the right time." I'm not about to go into a big spiel about why. Neither of us have that kind of time to waste.

The sudden roar of the crowd has me looking across the dimly lit room, to the stage where Destiny is shaking her large breast to the approving crowd. It's hard to tell if she strips for the attention or for the money. Especially if she's grinding in some rich guys lap. Perhaps she's just a talented actor. Good for her, but I'm not interested in dancing for anyone ever again. The thought sickens me. The only man I want touching me now is Styles.

Then, to make matters worse, I spot Dmitri sitting at a table. His curls are pulled back in a bun. And even though he is now clean shaven, I know it's him. Crap. I tell myself that he's here for the strippers, but I'm not stupid enough to believe it.

I grab a tray and then head for his table.

Thank God tonight is my last night.

As I approach, Dmitri notices me coming, and a lopsided grin fills one side of his face. I don't miss how his eyes run the full length of my body. As I do with any customer who looks at me with that same lustful glint in their eyes, I ignore it. I stop at the table and take in the five other faces staring up at me. "Here for another stag party?" I ask.

Dmitri shakes his head. "No. I came looking for you."

Here we go. "Why?"

"Because I wanted to see you again."

I don't have time for this. "Dmitri, maybe a few months ago I would have been interested, but now I'm in love with another man. So no, I'm not interested in seeing you or anyone else." Then I walk away, telling myself that this is yet another reason I need to stop working here.

As I pass a stripper grinding against an elderly man who looks old enough to be her grandfather, my gut turns. I'm not sure if it's the lustful gleam in his eyes, or that I'm working in a place where this is the norm that unsettles me?

With my empty tray in hand, I walk the narrow line between the tables. I ignore the lewd comments and make my way to the back tables. It's darker back there, and the customers aren't as loud. The louder ones sit closer to the stage.

While wiping over an empty table, Michael appears in my line of vision. He's sitting two tables away — he's alone — he's never alone. A shiver runs through me as our eyes connect. He jerks his chin at me, which looks more like a summoning gesture than a friendly salutation.