The Mystery Man Part 5

The following afternoon, Eddie's father invited Jamie and I to their house for a barbeque. Jamie's husband couldn't make it because he had to work, and it was one of his overtime days, so he had to sadly miss out. When we got there, we went to the back yard, where Eddie's father had the grill set up, heating it up so he could cook on it. Eddie came outside from the house and greeted Jamie and I. 

   Eddie's dad had to go inside to grab some things so he could get ready to cook, so he headed into the house really quick to get what he needed. Eddie for some reason, was watching his father go inside, where I thought he was going to play a prank on him, so I didn't really suspect anything out of the ordinary. After his father went inside, Eddie turned to me, looking as if he wanted to ask me something.

   "Eddie, are you okay?" I asked, "You're acting weird."

   "Well, I wanted to bring you here for more than just the barbeque." Eddie said, "I have something I want to ask you."

   "You do?" I asked.

   "Yes, I wanted to ask you if you wou--......." then Eddie was cut off by his returning father.

   "What's going on out here?" Eddie's dad asked, "Hold up, Eddie, what were you about to ask Mike?" 

   Before Eddie could speak, his father figured out what was going on, and whether Eddie's plan was going to go over or not, this caught me totally off guard.

   "Were you about to ask him out?" Eddie's father asked, "What about Jason?"

   I just stood there stunned, "Jason?..... whose he?" I asked.

   Eddie just stood there in silence, saying nothing.

   "Tell me who Jason is Eddie!" I demanded.

   "Jason is Eddie's boyfriend, isn't he Eddie?" Eddie's father asked.

   Again, Eddie said nothing, he knew he'd just been busted.

   "I can't believe you Eddie! I raised you better than that! I will NOT let you cheat on Jason; he's done too much for you to hurt him that way!" Eddie's father said.

   After hearing all this, I left the back yard, heading for Jamie's car, where I got in, then locked the door and rolled up the window. I didn't want to talk to anyone, I made sure to make it clear when I walked away, that Eddie and I were done. I couldn't believe Eddie had kept this from me all this time. I was beyond devastated.

   Jamie looked back at Eddie, "I'm going to take Mike back home now. I suggest you stay away from both of us. Anyone who hurts Mike, is no friend of mine, and I'm sure Mike never wants to see or hear from you again."

   Jamie finally came back to the car, where we both left Eddie's house, heading right back home. We no sooner got back in my house, I went straight to my room, closing the door, but gave Jamie permission to come in before I did. I was straight up livid. Jamie came over to the bed, sitting beside me. She knew how hurt I was, because this wasn't her first time seeing me this way.

   "How could he do this to me Jamie?!" I asked, "Why does everybody give me the short end of the stick?"

   "I don't know Mike, but I promise you, we're going to find you someone, I promise!" Jamie said.

   "No Jamie, just forget it, I'm done trying, I'm done being the one who always gets shot down, while everybody else gets to be happy! I'm done being played by everyone I try to date!" I replied, feeling lost.

   "Just give me one chance, please?" Jamie pleaded.

   I didn't want to give her a chance, but I also didn't want to upset her either, so I finally agreed to let her do things her way, even though I knew I was just going to end up disappointed again. What I didn't know however, was that Jamie had a brand new place she wanted to take me, which would restore my faith in maybe finding someone I could call my own.

   TO BE CONTINUED.........................................................................................................................