Magnus Bane

Clary was pissed off "OUR MOTHER DID THIS TO US?" I was so shocked and rattled that my knees buckled. Jason caught me holding me in his lap as he was sitting on the mattress. Magnus said, "Is she ok?" Clary waved her hand "She doesn't deal with stress very well. Why?" Magnus said "I don't know. It's not my job to ask questions. I do what I get paid to do." Jace said "Within the bounds of the Covenant," Magnus said, "Within the bounds of the Covenant, of course." Clary said "So the Covenant's all right with this—this mind-rape? Was it only once? Was there something specific she wanted me to forget? Do you know what it was?" she sank down onto the mattress as I closed my eyes leaning my head on Jason's chest. 

Magnus said "I don't think you understand. The first time I ever saw you, you must have been about two years old, she was about one year old. I was watching out this window, and I saw her hurrying up the street, holding something wrapped in a blanket. I was surprised when she stopped at my door. She looked so ordinary, so young. She unwrapped the blanket when she came in my door. You both were inside it. She set you both down on the floor and you started ranging around, picking things up, pulling my cat's tail... you screamed like a banshee when the cat scratched you, so I asked your mother if you were part banshee. She didn't laugh. You little Vixen were still learning to walk, but you could climb and man I wish she told me that information. She freaked when you climbed onto the couch and pulled my cup of vodka off the counter, got it in your mouth, all over your clothes, and my couch. She cleaned you and my couch up while she told me she was a Shadowhunter. 

There was no point in her lying about it; Covenant Marks show up, even when they've faded with time, like faint silver scars against the skin. They flickered when she moved. She told me she'd hoped you'd both been born with a blind Inner Eye, some Shadowhunters have to be taught to see the Shadow World. But she'd caught you that afternoon, teasing a pixie trapped in a hedge. She knew you could see. So she asked me if it was possible to blind you of the Sight. I told her that crippling that part of your mind might leave you damaged, possibly insane. She didn't cry. She wasn't the sort of woman who weeps easily, your mother. She asked me if there was another way, and I told her you could be made to forget those parts of the Shadow World that you could see, even as you saw them. The only caveat was that she'd have to come to me every two years as the results of the spell began to fade." 

Clary said, "And did she?" Magnus nodded. "I've seen you every two years since that first time... I started doing the spell on Vixen when she was 4 when she saw her first demon. I've watched you both grow up. You're the only children I have ever watched grow up that way, you know. In my business one isn't generally that welcome around human children." Jace said, "So you recognized the girls when we walked in, You must have." Magnus said "Of course I did. And it was a shock, too. But what would you have done? They didn't know me. They weren't supposed to know me. Just the fact that they were here meant the spell had started to fade... and in fact, we were due for another visit about a month ago. I even came by your house when I got back from Tanzania, but Jocelyn said that you two had had a fight after she went missing and you'd runoff. She said she'd call on me when you came back, but she never did." Clary said "I saw you coming out of Dorothea's apartment. I remember your eyes." He said "I'm memorable, it's true, You shouldn't remember me, I threw up a glamour as hard as a wall as soon as I saw you. You should have run right into it face-first... psychically speaking."

Clary said, "If you take the spell off us, will we be able to remember all the things we've forgotten? All the memories you stole?" he said, "I can't take it off you." Jace said "What? Why not? The Clave requires you..." Magnus said, "I don't like being told what to do, little Shadowhunter." Alec said "Don't you know how to reverse it? The spell, I mean." Magnus sighed. "Undoing a spell is a great deal more difficult than creating it in the first place. The intricacy of this one, the care I put into weaving it... if I made even the smallest mistake in unraveling it, her mind could be damaged forever. Besides, it's already begun to fade. The effects will vanish overtime on their own." Clary lost her mind because she said "What if I sick my sister on you?" I opened my eyes to glare at her making the lightwoods and Jace quickly back away, even Magnus moved and I hissed out "I am not a pawn on your chessboard Clarissa Adele, I am your sister and a person. You will treat me as such." she meekly nodded and so I went back to laying my head on Jason's chest with my eyes closed.