Chapter 5

Chapter Five:

It took me quite a while to fall asleep after seeing Zayn so cold and depressed under that bridge. I kept making myself think about the smile he had on his face after I had talked to him and that’s pretty much all that got me through the night. I really wished that he had come to my house so he could be warm but I knew that no matter how much I begged him he wouldn’t agree to it. I remembered that I had his number in my phone so before I went to sleep (or at least tried to go to sleep) I sent him a quick text to see if he was alright. I never got a reply but I figured it was just because he didn’t want to talk. I understood completely and even though I wanted to I never left my house to go see if he was still in the cold. I woke up about five times during the night due to nightmares. Every single one had to do with me going to school the next day and hearing the announcement that Zayn was killed in the park. I didn’t really understand why I was having such intense dreams about him when I barely knew him but I wished that they would stop. I was very happy that the last time I woke up was not the result of a nightmare but of my alarm clock beeping. Normally I would have hit the snooze button a few times and then slowly gotten up but I was looking forward to seeing Zayn.

There was still 10 minutes or so before I had to leave but I was so anxious to get out of the house that I decided to leave early. I arrived at school much earlier than I had ever gotten there before and I knew that there was one friend who would already be there. I ran to the library and found Liam sitting in his usual spot in the back reading a book.

I snuck up behind him and yelled, “BOO!”

He screamed and fell out of his chair and I couldn’t help but laugh.

He rolled his eyes, “Ha. Ha. Very funny Harold.”

“Oh come on Li. I was just messing around. You should’ve seen your face.” I wiped the tears that were rolling down my cheeks from laughing so hard.

“I’m sure it was hilarious for you. Why are you here anyways? Aren’t you supposed to be sleeping still?”

I chuckled, “Yea, but I really wanted to get here early today?”

He gave me a confused look, “Why? Just so you could do that?”

I shook my head, “No.”

A big smile appeared on his face, “You’re gonna talk to Zayn aren’t you?”

I blushed and nodded, “Yea.”

“Well I don’t know if you care but I normally see him back there on the other side of the library. Sometimes he gets here earlier than I do.”

“What? Why have you never told me this?!”, I exclaimed.

“Shh. This is a library Hazza. And I never told you because I never really thought it was important.”

I lowered my voice, “Well it is.”

He shrugged, “Then go over there and talk to him. I’m sure he won’t mind.”

I took a deep breath, “Alright. Here it goes.”

 At that moment I felt oddly nervous. I didn’t want to scare him off and I didn’t want to push him into talking to me. Maybe he would want to talk after what had happened last night though. I looked at Liam before going over to the other side of the library. I had no idea what was over there because honestly I never came here. The only time that I went in the library was if a teacher made the class go or if I wanted to talk to Liam. I smiled when I saw him sitting on the floor against a wall reading a book. He looked so peaceful and happy and I saw that his bruise was gone and so was his cut. I realized then that he must have been covering up all of his injuries. How many more marks could he have on that beautifully tanned skin? Probably dozens.