𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

Daddy had to go back to base but said he'd be back for Christmas

Daddy had to go back to base but said he'd be back for Christmas. My principal had told Mom not to send me to school today because apparently there was press outside because of a tape of Cristal that was leaked. Anders walked in as I was tying my shoelaces.

"Your mother has requested that you meet her at the car," Anders said.

"Thanks, Anders," I said. I ran out of my room and down the stairs. I stumbled but Uncle Steven caught me.

"You shouldn't be running down the stairs should you?" Uncle Steven asked.

"Don't tell Mom please," I said.

"Okay, but don't do it again," Uncle Steven said. I nodded hugging him before running outside. Mom was waiting by the Aston.

"Morning princess," Mom said.

"Morning," I said tiredly. Mommy opened the car door. "Where's my car seat?" I asked.

"It's in the Bentley and I forgot to take it out before Culhane left," Mom said. "Can you sit without one just for today?" I nodded. Mom picked me up and set me in the seat. I fell asleep as she drove to her office. We walked inside.

"Sorry I'm late. Some douche in a Caddy cut me off," Mom said.

"You drove yourself here? Glad I wasn't on the road," Jeff said.

"Don't start. I've had a morning," Mom said.

"I got good news for you. Guess who made the list of Atlanta Digests upcoming Top Women in Business issue," Jeff handed Mom an iPad.

"What?" Mom asked.

"The PR guy sent me the list. Congratulations, partner," Jeff said.

"But how? I didn't even submit myself," Mom said. She looked at Jeff. "You did this for me?"

"For us. Could be great PR," Jeff said.

"I figured after I lost us the Atlanta utility contract..." Mom trailed off.

"Losing a billion-dollar client was punishment enough. Besides, you deserve to be recognized," Jeff said.

"I've been trying to get on this list for three years," Mom said.

"And if you land Woman of the Year, you get the cover. Businessmen at every newsstand will thank me," Jeff said.

"You're right. This exposure could help us land clients and expand into something legit. As you said, we're in this together," Mom said to Jeff.

"Right. Now you just have to beat out your stepmother," Jeff said.

"Are you kidding me? Cristal made the list?" Mom asked.

"I'm sure she was submitted before the deadline. That sex tape just hit the web a few days ago," Jeff said.

"A sex tape is the reason I can't go to school?" I asked.