𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

I walked into Culhane's loft to find Mom and Culhane talking

"What are you doing here?" Mom asked.

"I was looking for you and Tony the gardener said you'd come here," I said.

"Well, you've found me. What can I help you with?" Mom asked. I looked between the two grown-ups realizing they were in the middle of something.

"It doesn't matter. I'm gonna go, you seem busy," I said walking out. I sat in my room cuddling with Taco.

"What's wrong Ella?" Mom asked.

"Nothing," I said.

"I know when you're lying princess, you're my daughter I can tell when something is up with you," Mom said. "Tell me the truth," I turned to face her.

"I woke up and I couldn't find you. I thought you left for work again and I panicked," I said.

"I'm sorry you weren't aware that I was in the loft sooner," Mom said.

"Are you and Culhane back together? Were you ever together?" I asked.

"Culhane is helping me with something," Mom said.

"Ooh, can I help too?" I asked.

"If I think of something that I need your help with of course you can but for now I'm okay," Mom said.

"Is Culhane helping with a grown-up thing?" I asked.

"Jeff proposed to me," Mom said. 

"I thought you broke up with him," I said.

"It's complicated," Mom said.

"Isn't everything complicated? I mean have you seen my math homework that I don't have to do anymore," I said. Mom smiled.

"Why don't you come with me to see Jeff at the office? We can stop and get donuts on the way," Mom said.

"Yes please," I said.

Timeskip

We walked into the office and stood in the doorway.

"Always causing trouble, aren't you?" Mom asked.

"Me? What did I do?" Jeff asked standing from his chair.

"Well, you nearly caused an accident in the parking lot. The valet said he was blinded by the bling on my finger," Mom said holding her ring up.

"Go big or kill somebody trying. That's the Carrington way, right?" Jeff asked.

"You sure do know a lot about my family. Speaking of family..." Mom said walking over to the desk. I dropped into a chair.

"You heard my father got out on parole?" Jeff asked.

"Mm-hm," Mom said.

"I know, it's all over the Internet. He's staying with me. I thought we could all have dinner tomorrow. Introduce him to my fiancée and my soon-to-be stepdaughter," Jeff said.