Chapter Seven

It's been weeks.

The dead are up and walking and we're hunkered down pretty good. I've been teaching G a thing or two about medicine. Just in case something happens to me.

I have given up hope on finding my family, daryl, everything that I knew really. At first it was hard to come to terms with, but knowing that they may not be out there fighting in a life we now call normal. Maybe it was all a blessing.

"Dr. J, Velma need you" Felipe said, peeking his head through the door of my room. I nodded and followed him out, heading down the hall towards Velma's room.

Guillermo's family and his gang are all residing here, helping protect all of us. I've only been outside the walls twice. I had to make one run with the guys to look through all the medication to see if we could even use any of it.

Other than that, I continued most of my life like normal, figuring out different ways to help my patients with no power.

I made my rounds after helping Velma with her port line. Due to not having any other medical supplies, the port line was better left untouched. They aren't getting the treatments they should, I didn't want to run out of chemo. I wanted to plan a two day trip, making my rounds at every hospital to even see if they had any left.

Each patient was only getting half of their doses every other week, enough to hopefully make a difference.

My heart broke seeing my residents so scared, we had tried our best to get our residents to understand. Some just could not bare the thought.

"G, let me show you a little bit" I called down the hall, making him nod and come my way.

We went through the different patients, i showed him how to read their charts and what is what in the med cart.

Once we finished the rounds again, making sure no one had any weird side effects from their medicines. We walked to the rec area.

"What's it like out there?" I asked, it had been a week since I had gone out. "No sign of the living, Atlanta had been completely overrun. My guys found a bag of guns that their gonna go back for tomorrow, there were too many Vatos out there to risk going for it." He explained and I nodded.

"I appreciate everything you're doing for us, keeping all of us safe." I said, we had both taken a seat on the couch. The residents were all getting ready for bed. "I also appreciate you staying and helping me out with everyone, I couldn't have done this all myself" I said motioning towards this whole place.

"Some of my family is here, they weren't fit for travel and I wasn't leaving without them" he shrugged but sent me a small smile.

"You think your family is still out there?" He asked and I shook my head, "only family I had was my dad and the rednecks across the street, I hope the rednecks are alive, but I'm just gonna count my blessings. If they aren't, they don't have to live in a world like this." I softly smiled, tears threatening to spill.

"One of those rednecks were more than just a red neck isn't her?" He questioned and I chuckled to myself. "To me yeah, he was a little too old for me, but I was in love with him" I said, imagining the blue eyed redneck who I can always picture sitting at the kitchen island, his thumb in his mouth.

"Well I hope you find him, one day" he said and I smiled at him. I really hoped I could find him one day too.