Chapter Thirteen

"Everybody listen up" Shane said, we all stood around waiting for the plan to head to the CDC. "Those of you with C.B.s we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the charter down, okay?" We all nodded along with him.

Daryl and I stood leaned against his truck, all of our stuff packed away in the bed along with Merle's motorcycle.

"Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B. Can't get a signal, anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?" He asked and we all shook our heads but Morales.

"We're, uh... we're not going." He stated, it was silent all around, shock on everyone's faces. "We have family in Birmingham, we wanna be with our people" his wife jumped in.

I don't blame them for not wanting to go, with our two leaders always at each others necks, I wouldn't want to go with us either.

"You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back."

"We'll take the chance. I gotta do what's best for my family"

"You sure?" Rick questioned.

"We talked about it. We're sure" he nodded.

With that daryl and I split off, not knowing the morales family a whole bunch. "Stupid" daryl said shaking his head while tightening the straps that held the bike in place.

When Daryl glanced back they were handing morales a gun, causing him to scuff and roll his eyes. "Stupid" he said again looking up at me before turning back to something in the bed.

We stood their awkwardly as the families said goodbye to each other.

"Come on. Let's move out" Shane said walking to his Jeep.

I got into the all familiar truck, bouncing my knee anxiously as daryl got in as well. I watched out the window as we drove away. I couldn't help but feel nervous being exposed so much.

Daryl was stand off ish today, I knew he would since that's what he does. Some days were better than others. I pulled my knees to my chest, leaning my head against the door and watched out the open window. Daryl chewed on his thumb anxiously as we drove.

It was a comfortable silence between us and I glanced at him every couple of minutes then back to the road.

"Why ya keep lookin at me?" He barked causing me to jump and furrow my eyebrows. "Sorry, didn't know it was against the law to look at someone" I said rolling my eyes. I knew it would probably piss him off but I didn't care.

He just scuffed and continued looking forward. It's gonna be a long ride if I have to deal with Daryl's attitude.

"Why are you treating me like I'm the enemy here? I left the safe place I had so I could be here with you." I said, trying my best to keep myself calm. I didn't want to set him off but I couldn't help myself.

"Well I didn't ask ya to" he snapped and I rolled my eyes. "Well you also didn't tell me no." I added and he scuffed again.

"What's your problem?" I asked, knowing it was probably a mistake but I didn't care.

"My problem? I'm not the one chasin you around like a lost puppy."

"Don't even. I saw how pissed you got at the nursing home when you thought I wasn't coming with you"

"You don't know what yer talkin bout"

"Daryl. I've known you for years. I literally can't even picture a time when you weren't. I know you a lot more than you think"

"You don't know shit bout me"

"Keep telling yourself that"

It was silent between us for a while.

"I don't care how much you think no one cares about you, but I do and there's nothing you can say or do that will stop me from doing so" I said not look at him.

I could feel his eyes on me for a second before he turned back towards the road.

"I need a cigarette" I huffed pulling a pack out of my bag that sat in the floor boards. I lit the cigarette taking a couple puffs before handing it over to Daryl.

"You're my family. The only family I have left. Do not just push me away like I'm dog shit on the bottom of your shoe. Before the world was like this and I had my dad it was fine, I got over it and had a conversation with you the next day. Don't make it like this now" I said taking the cigarette back from him and finished it.

"I'm not yer family. Never have been, never will be. Get that through yer head"

"What have I honestly done to make you hate me so much? I drop everything for you, would do anything for you. I was about to kill a man for you."

"I never asked ya to. And I don't expect ya to do anythin for me"

"That's the point! I don't understand why you have to be so cold towards me, push me off half the time. I don't do anything to make you so mad at me"

"Stop bein annoyin"

"I didn't do anything other than speak my mind. If that annoys you, I'm sorry"

He huffed, keeping his eyes forward as the row of cars slowed to a stop.

"I'm done arguing with you" I said rolling my eyes and getting out of the truck, slamming the door behind me.