Chapter 7: Previously On

Clara observed her surroundings, while Agatha talked to her mother Clara watched the brunette with curious eyes. Her brothers were nowhere to be found, Agnes was a witch, one who looked evil, "Mama-".

"Where are my children?".

"Where are my children?", Agatha mocked, "Oof! That accent really comes and goes, doesn't it?".

Clara looked at her mother, "Mama?".

Wanda paid no attention to Clara, "Where are they?".

"Your magic won't work in here toots, don't try it, Clara, because yours won't work too".

Clara backed into a corner as Wanda was lifted off the ground and bound with magic, "Didn't you notice? Basic protection spell, one on each wall. No? Nothing? These are runes, girls. In a given space, only the witch who cast the runes can use her magic. How do none of you know the fundamentals?".

"We were self-taught", Clara whispered, "We went at our own pace, knew each other better than anyone, we probably covered more in our first month than you did in your first year".

"Clara, hush", Wanda hissed, "Who are you?", Wanda quizzed Agatha.

"Who are you?", Agatha questioned the Maximoff's, retaliating with her question instead of an answer, "All those costumes and hairstyles".

"We asked you first".

Agatha glared at the teen, "I was so patient, waiting for you to reveal your true self. I got close with fake Pietro. Fietro if you will. And James with Martha''.

Wanda shot her daughter a look, "What happened with them?".

"I'll explain later".

"That was you?", Wanda registered Agatha talking about Pietro.

"No, it wasn't literally me. Just my eyes and ears. A crystalline possession. Necromancy was a non-starter since your real brother's body is on another continent. Not to mention, full of holes. But you're so crippled by your own self-doubt that you believed it. Oh, Wanda, oh, when I sensed this place, the afterglow of so many spells cast all at once... Oh, I couldn't make heads or tails of it"

Clara glanced at her mother, "Mama, what's she talking about?".

"You had your daughter tricked too".

"No, I know about Westview. But I saved Uncle Pietro".

Agatha glanced at the girl before looking at Senor Scratchy, "She can't be".

"Anyways", Agatha chanted in Latin, "Mind control. A classic. A quick incantation and a feeble psyche and you're good to go. With thousands of people under your thumb, all interacting with each other according to complex storylines. Well, that's something special, baby. And of course, there's transmutation".

She chanted again, "Years of study to achieve even the smallest convincing illusion. But Westview through your lens, Wanda...", a bird squeaks, "Every little detail in place down to the crown molding. You're even running illusions miles away at the edge of town. Magic on autopilot", the bird squeaked again.

Agatha inhaled sharply, "What's your secrets sisters? Listen, I need you... Hey, Wanda, Clara, I need you to tell me how you did this".

"We didn't do anything. We're not...".

"I tried to be gentle, to nudge you awake from this ridiculous fantasy, but you would rather fall apart than face your truth. You left me no choice. What was it you said to your not-brother? Hmm? All you could recall was the feeling. You felt empty. Alone. Endless nothingness. Let's start there. It's been fun playing pretend for a while, hasn't it, Wanda? Don't worry Clara dear, your next".