Chapter 9: One Last Try

The Guardians and Jack returned to the North Pole, their hearts as heavy as the heaviest of metals. The situation was gloomy, no longer was there any smile or glow around their faces.

For they all mourned the loss of their friend and fellow guardian, who they could only now have in their memories. A ritual of passing was quickly built, candles being lightened in the globe room.

The symbol of the guardians with the crystal was covered by smaller candles in a circle around it. The Guardians each laid a big white candle on the symbol of Sandy, holding back tears and pained expressions on their faces. They all made a circle, holding hands.

Around them, the elves and Yeti did the same, the small helped by shaking their point hands and letting their bells chime a mourning song. Gaia looked at the symbol of Sandy, the three faces changing as each one felt the grief the same way.

No matter how hard she tried to change them, she could not escape the pain in her heart. She had never suffered loss before, none of them truly had. No one had ever told them it would be so painful.

Tears stung at the edge of her eyes, trying her best to hold them at bay. She could still replay the moment, the battle, that cost their friend.

--------------------------

When the mourning was over, Gaia had quietly retreated it away. Jack had closed himself into North's office from the beginning, not standing to face and be reminded of their loss.

Gaia isolated herself down with the reindeer, the kind animals curling their furry bodies around her in an attempt to comfort her. Yet, not even their snouts and pink tongues helped to make her truly feel better.

The bracelet on her upper arm felt heavy, her amber eyes refusing to look at it. Why was she given such power if she could not wield it properly?

She left out a heavy sigh, leaning back on Blitzen and closing her eyes, the tears she tried so hard to keep back; now rolling freely down her cheeks.

That's why she hated wars and battles. She did not want to be involved in any of this, face such casualties, being tormented with so much pain...why did she agree to stay?

Footsteps were heard and she opened her eyes, quickly wiping them with the back of her palm. The rest of the Guardians and Jack stood outside the reindeer stall, all having a small glimmer of hope in their eyes.

"What is it?" She asked, trying to keep her voice stable but she failed to hide how uninterested she truly was in anything.

"We have a plan, Gaia," Jack said, trying to sparkle some hope into her.

His heartache seeing her so broken and defeated, having already given up. From the moment he had met her, she was this smiling and strong and caring woman but now...she was not. He understood, though, for he was not that close to Sandy and his loss weighted on his consciousness. 

"What's the point?" she asked, keeping her attention on the ground in front of her. "Sandy is gone. The lights are blinking and disappearing faster than we can save them and Pitch is winning"

To Jack's surprise, Bunny jumped into the stall. He landed in front of her and knelt, so the two good old friends could look each other in the eye. "There is still hope" he started, placing his paw on her arm. "Easter is tomorrow. You always loved it, you compared it to the epitome of hope. Now, you need to believe it more than ever. One last time"

Gaia took a moment, looking at him in his eyes. The Crone slowly got replaced by the Maiden, young lively eyes showing how truly she believed in his words. For it was true. Easter was her favourite holiday, one of the most innocent ones that connected kids with Nature as well. The only Season she could participate, be more active.