Chapter 5

Info ▼You See the Invisible

5)
I got ready for my date with Matt. I wore a floral sundress and pair of brown sandals. My hair was straightened and my face had very little make up on. I had to admit, I'm nervous. I've never been on a date before and now I'm spending my first date with Matthew Espinosa! He was hottest guy in school and he picked me!
I finished getting ready when the doorbell rang. My mom called downstairs and Matt was standing in the doorway. My brother came out of my room and followed me downstairs. He shook Matt's hand and warned him not to hurt me.

"Hey Ellie." Matt stood there wearing a black and blue striped shirt and a pair of khakis. He stepped forward, almost as if went to hug me.

"Hi Matthew." I'm surprised he didn't cringe whenever I said he actual first name.

"What time should I have her home by?" he asked.

"Midnight. Now stop chit-chatting and go have some fun." My mom pushed out the door and Michael yelled something to us. It couldn't make out what he said. Matt walked ahead of me and opened the door of the truck. He helped me into the passenger seat and when I was in, he shut the door. Matt got in the driver's seat and started his truck. He pulled out of my driveway and I sat my mom looking at us leave.

We were rolling down the street and Matt finally decided to turn on the radio. We were quiet as usual. All our car rides together were awkward and silent. Finally, I broke the silent.

"So, why did you ask me on a date? I thought you weren't into sophomores?" I asked him.

"Well, I'd though I should get to know you better. I mean, if your going to tutor me until midterms I think I should know something about you." I looked at him and he smiled at me. I smiled back at him and looked at him for a moment or two.

~~~

After an hour of driving, we pulled up to a gate with a No Trespassing sign. "M-Matt?" I asked.

"What?"

"That says 'no trespassing.'" I said. Matt hopped out of the truck and opened the gate. He got back in and drove through the gate. We were know in the middle of the woods and I was nervous. We obviously shouldn't be here if there is a no trespassing sign.

"Matt, are you should it's okay for us to be here?" I asked.

"Of course. I'm here all the time."

"To do what? Make out with girls, get drunk, and smoke?"

"Maybe the first two, not the last one. I don't do drugs." Matt said.

"I beg to differ."

"Relax Ellie. Can't you just have some fun?"

"I won't be having fun when I'm in the back of police car being drove to the police station." Matt was silent. He stopped driving and he turned off the car. He walked around the front of the truck and opened my door.

"Close your eyes." he said, putting his hands over my eyes. We began walking. I felt Matt behind me. He kept one hand over my eyes and other on my hip.

"Okay, open your eyes." I opened my eyes and into front of me was a giant screen. There were blankets, pillows, and lanterns around the area. Behind the blankets was a projector. Matt set up an outdoor movie theater!

"Matt, how did you do this?" I asked.

"Me and my bud Taylor set it up today. He's in town for a week and I asked him to help me set this up." I walked over to him and hugged him. He hugged back and pressed hand on my lower back. I took his scent. He smelled like Abercromie and Fitch cologne and sugar. I smiled and didn't want to let go of him. I wanted to hold him forever. I hope he wanted to hold me too.

I finally let go of him and we walked to the blankets. Matt set up the movie projector and them came over to me. I sat with my legs criss-crossed. Matt wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into him.

"What movie are we watching?" I asked.

"Romeo and Juliet." Matt answered. I smiled at the screen when the first scene started. I felt myself being lowered onto the blankets. Matt and I were know laying on the blankets and pillows. I turned my body so I was cuddled closer to Matt. I draped an arm across his body.

Matt's POV

I looked at Ellie cuddling close to me. I smiled at her, knowing that she's falling for me. I should go after sophomore girls more often.

~~~~

Ellie's POV

I recited the last lines of the play with tears rolling down my cheek. "For never was a story of more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

I looked at Matt who was smiling at me. I wiped tears from my face and sat up. "Sorry," I said. "I just really like this story. Have you ever read it?" I asked. Matt shook his head.

"I don't read. And when we read it in English, I wasn't paying attention." he told me.

"Matt! You should have read it. It's beautiful." I told him.

"How? They both died."

"They died for their love. They loved each other so much that they couldn't live without one another. And the way Romeo looked at Juliet." I sighed and shook my head. "I'm sorry again. I just get really passionate about these types of things. I'm a big English nerd." Matt chuckled and me and sat up.

"Well now I know something else about you. Tell me more." Matt smiled.

"Well, I really like Ed Sheeran and reading." I stopped to think of other things. "When I was younger, we had to move around a lot, because of my dad's job. Now we're here forever."

"What does your dad do?" he asked. I felt a lump in my throat and waited for a moment.

"He's a marine, so my brother is sort of the man of the house now. I write to him every week. He'll write back to every letter. I never have to wait long either. It only takes him a week or two to reply back. When it takes longer for him to write back I get really nervous that something happened to him. My dad was always like that. My mom told me that when they were dating, he was a fireman. When they were living together in an apartment, his pager would go off and my mother was up the rest of the night in fear. He always kept people worried and scared that he wasn't coming home. My biggest fear is that in the middle of the night, there'd be a ring of the doorbell and a military officer would be standing there with my father's dog tag." I was silent after that and more tears were rolling down my cheeks. Matt was silent and moved towards me. He pulled me into him. I nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck and cried.

« PrevNext »