Chapter 13

Info ▼You See the Invisible

13)
Matt's phone alarm woke us up at eight-thirty in the morning. I rubbed my eyes open and rolled over to look at Matt. He gave me a sleepy smile. "Good morning, Eleanor." he whispered.

"How do you know my real name?" I asked, taken back a little bit.

"I saw your dad's letter to you. Dearest Eleanor." he said. That's how my dad always starts his letter's to me. I felt a little invaded, knowing that Matt saw and read the letter my dad wrote to me. He kissed my forehead and smiled. "Don't worry," he said. "I like your name."

"Well, I don't. So please don't call me that." I told him.

"Why not? It's cute."

"It's the name of an old lady. I was named after my great-grandmother. I guess her and my mother were really close and she died a few months before I was born. My name was going to be Juliana, but my mother changed it to Eleanor. Now my name is Eleanor Rose Bartolini." I looked at him and started laughing.

"I think it's only fair for me to call you Eleanor if you get to call me Matthew." Matthew chuckled.

"Never mind, I'll stop calling you Matthew." We both laughed again and I sat up on the air mattress. Matt put his hands behind his head and looked up at me.

"We need to get going." I told him.

"We have an hour." he moaned. I stood up and pulled the blanket off of Matt and ran away from him. I heard Matt groan and he began to chase after me. I wasn't as fast as him and he caught me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and spun me around. As he put me back on the ground, I lost my footing and I fell. Matthew fell on top of me and I looked up at him. We were in silence. The fish were still swimming above us and it felt like nothing mattered. We looked into each other's eyes and continued to stay mute. After we broke our gaze, Matt awkwardly got off of me. "Sorry." he said.

He reached for my hand and he pulled me up. I picked the blanket up from the ground and folded it. Matt and I walked back to our sleeping site and began to pack up. Matt deflated the air mattress and put back in the bag. I was carrying the pillows and blankets. Matt carried the air mattress and our bags. We went down to basement and exited the aquarium. We walked all the way to the parking lot and to Matt's Range Rover. We put everything in the backseat. "Where do you want to go to breakfast?" he asked.

"I'm not going out looking like this." I said.

"You look fine, El." he said.

"No I don't. I don't have makeup on or my hair done. Plus, neither of us brushed our teeth this morning." I heard Matthew chuckle and he looked over at me.

"Does any of that matter? It's nine o'clock on a Sunday morning and who cares if we go into a diner looking like a mess?"

"Matt, I don't even have a bra on." I admitted.

"Well, that might be an issue." We both laughed and Matt reached over and put his hand on my knee. He rubbed his thumb in circles.

"Can't we just make breakfast at home? I prefer homemade breakfast." I smiled. Matt looked at me and I gave him puppy dog eyes. "Please...?" I asked. Matt chuckled and nodded.

"Sure.." Matt sighed with a smile.

Matt pulled into our neighborhood and onto his street. He pulled into his driveway and parked his car. We both got out of the car and we walked into Matt's house. It didn't seem like his parents were home.

"Sorry, parents aren't home again." Matt said. I shrugged it off. "My parents are never home either."

Matt started making pancakes for us and I sat at the island in the middle of the kitchen. "Do you need me to do anything?" I asked. Matt shook his head and turned around to look at me. "Just sit there and look pretty." I smiled and looked down, blushing.

Matt finished breakfast and put two pancakes on my plate. Matt got out the butter and syrup and we enjoyed breakfast together. Every once in awhile, we'd share quick glances at each other. "Do you have any chocolate milk?" I asked. Matt swallowed some of his pancake and nodded. He stood up from the stool and opened the fridge. He took out the chocolate milk and two glasses. He poured each of us a glass and put the milk back in the fridge. "Thanks." I said, smiling at him.

"So, if you don't go to homecoming, what do you do?" he asked me.

"Well last year, I sat home with a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and watched movies." I confessed.

"That sounds like tons of fun." Matt was being sarcastic.

"It was to me. I didn't have to be in a gym filled with drunk, sweaty people who are dressed nicely. Couples are grinding on each other and I don't want to be there." Matthew was looking at me. He wasn't saying anything, just looking at me.

After we finished breakfast, I helped Matt clean up the kitchen. "Hey, I'm going to head back home, so I can take a shower and change. Text me if you want to do anything later."

"I can walk you home if you'd like." Matt offered.

"No, it's okay, I only live a street away." I smiled and grabbed my bag from the couch. I walked out the door and back to my house.

« PrevNext »