Chapter 15

Info ▼You See the Invisible

14)
-few days later

Today is Wednesday, October 1st. Homecoming and/or spirit week is already half way over. Today is nerd day. Students are to dress up as nerds, I'm never one to follow the crowd. I never participate in spirit week. My outfit of choice today was black skinny jeans, a light blue crop tank top, and a pair of grey high tops. I went downstairs and grabbed a banana for breakfast. After I finished, I went back upstairs to brush my teeth and I waited for Matthew to come and pick me up. I heard Matt honk the horn and I said goodbye to my mom. My brother already left to pick up Callie, his girlfriend.

I walked outside and saw Matt in his truck. I hopped in the passenger side and looked at him. "What are you wearing?" I asked, holding in my laugh.

"It's nerd day, so I dressed like a nerd." he said. Matthew was wearing a plaid shirt, suspenders, and glasses with tape in the middle.

"Well, you look ridiculous." I said, putting my seat belt on. Matt began to pull out of my driveway and headed to school. He placed his hand on my knee and I looked at his hand for awhile.

~~

He pulled into the school parking lot and stopped the car. "I'll see you in chemistry." Matt said whenever I got out of the car.

"Later, nerd." I smiled and walked away from the car.

Matt's POV

I was sitting in my truck, waiting for Megan. I was watching Ellie go into school when a group of boys from the soccer team walked up to her. Her arms were crossed over her chest and I could tell she was uncomfortable. I watched for a few more minutes and I saw her begin to try to push them off of her. I got out of my truck and walked over to them. "Hey!" I yelled. They turned around looked at me.

"Leave her alone." I stated, pushing Connor, the captain of the team.

"Look guys, her idiot of a boyfriend came to defend her." Connor said, laughing.

"He's not my boyfriend." I heard Ellie say. I turned to her and she wasn't looking at me.

"Then what is he?" Connor asked. "Your 'friend?' You don't have any. You have one of the most popular brothers in the school and you don't have any friends. Isn't that a shame."

"Can you stop talking to her like that?" I said, pushing Connor again.

"Touch me one more time, pretty boy." he said, pushing me back. A crowd of people began to hover around us chanting, "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

I shook my head and looked at Connor. "I'm not going to fight you, Connor." I said.

"Fine, just stand there." Connor swung his fist and it collided with my right eye. I fell back on the ground and groaned.

"Matt!" I heard Ellie screech. She fell to the ground and looked me. "Come on, I'm taking you to the nurse."

"Ellie, I'm okay. Trust me." I touched my eye and it began to sting.

"No, you aren't. You're bleeding." Ellie helped me up from the ground and we walked into the school. Everyone in the school was looking at us, confused. Ellie and I don't really hang around each other in school, so it was weird for people to see us together. Ellie brought me into the nurse's office and she wasn't there. "Sit down over there." she said, motioning to the couch. She went in the back and I heard water running. Then I heard the opening and closing off a door. Ellie came back out and pulled up a couch across from me.

"I can't believe you." she sighed, touching my eye with a wet paper towel.

"Why?" I chuckled.

"Because I could have handled myself." she said, looking at me. She was dabbing my eye, wiping off the blood.

"You're like the princess who slays her own dragon." I smiled. Ellie smiled back at me. I pulled her hand away from my eye and just looked at her.

"Thank you, Matt." she whispered.

"You're welcome, beautiful." I leaned up and kissed her cheek. Her face turned red and she looked down.

"Here," she said, reaching next to me on the couch. "Put this on your eye." Ellie handed me a bag of ice and she took off my glasses.

"Now I know how nerds feel when people stuff them into lockers, push their books on the floor, or beat them up in the locker room." she said, holding back a smile.

"Well, do I have to say, I am a pretty hot nerd." I said.

Eleanor giggled and stood up from the chair. "I'm going to class. I'll see you in last period."

« PrevNext »