Chapter 16

Info ▼You See the Invisible

16)
After my break down, I finally convinced Matt to leave. I sat on the couch under a blanket and watched t.v. I heard a car door and Michael walked through the door. His face was dripping in sweat from lacrosse practice. He sat down on the couch next to me and sighed.

"So, what happened at school today?" he asked me. I looked at him and cocked an eyebrow. "I heard your boyfriend got in a fight with Connor. Is that true?"

"First, he's not my boyfriend. And second, yes. He didn't fight Connor though, he was just punched in the face." I told him.

"Why were they fighting?" he asked.

"Um, I don't know. I just saw him being brought to the nurse." I lied. I didn't want to tell him that the soccer team was picking on me. I felt like it wasn't any of his business even though I'm his sister. "What time does Mom come home? I asked, changing the subject.

"She gets off of work at seven, so she'll probably be home by eight. What do you want for dinner?" he asked me. I shrugged and looked back at the t.v.

"I don't really feel good enough to eat."

"What's wrong?"

"I have spitting headache."

"Well, do you mind if I go out with Chloe and a few of my friends from the lacrosse team?"

I shook my head. "Don't let me hold you back. I just want to take a nap."

Michael nodded and went upstairs. I continued to watch t.v. until my eyes got heavy.

~~

"Ellie, it's time to get up from school." my mom said, shaking me. I rubbed my eyes open and rolled out of bed. Today was Thursday and tomorrow was homecoming. I didn't participate in spirit week again, so I changed into black skinny jeans, a red striped sweater, and a pair of black flats. I straightened my hair and didn't put on makeup.

I grabbed my backpack and waited for Matt to pick me up. Michael already left to go pick up Chloe and my mom already left for work at five this morning.

I heard the horn from Matt's truck and I left my house. I opened the door to the truck and got inside. "How are you feeling?" he asked. I shrugged, "I could be better."

Matt reached over and rubbed my knee. "Um, can you-" Matt looked at me and frowned.

"Sorry." he said, removing his hand. I just didn't want to feel like every other girl who sat in this exact seat. The rest of the ride to school was quiet. Matt awkwardly held the steering wheel with both hands. He didn't look at me and I didn't look at him.

He pulled into the parking lot at school and parked. "So," Matt said, breaking the silence. "After school today, I have to go pick up my tuxedo for homecoming so do you want to come with me?" he asked.

"Is Meghan coming?" I asked. As soon as it came out of my mouth, I regretted it.

"So that's what this is all about. You were jealous of Meghan yesterday." he said.

"If you're saying that I was upset that you acted like I wasn't even there, yeah a was mad, but not jealous."

"What are you talking about?" he asked.

"You didn't even talk to me yesterday." Before Matt could answer, I unbuckled my seat belt and opened the door of the truck. "Forget it. I'm going to be late for first period." I got out of the truck and walked into the school.

I went to my locker and grabbed my books for first period, history. I walked down the hall and avoided the stares I usually get from people. I walked into my history classroom and took my seat. I few minutes when by and Sophie, a girl in my class, came up to me.

"Hey, Ellie." she said.

"Um, hi?" I leaned back in my chair and crossed my arms over my chest. "Do you need something?"

"Do you and Matt have something?" she asked.

"Espinosa?" I asked.

"Yeah, like, are you guys together?"

"Oh, no. We're just friends." I told her.

"Really? I always see you guys together and I thought you were dating."

"No, we're just friends." Friends wasn't even the correct term to use.

"Oh. Well, I'm sorry I bothered you. See ya at homecoming." I just nodded.

« PrevNext »