Chapter 26

Info ▼You See the Invisible

26)
Around three in the morning, I heard a loud beeping noise and a bunch of commotion coming from outside my bedroom door. I rolled out of bed and didn't bother to put on shorts, because I was worried. I saw the light on in my parents' room and my brother was standing outside his bedroom in nothing but his boxers. He looked at me and then the door to my parent's door opened. My dad was back in uniform and his had his duffel bag strapped over his shoulder. My mother was in tears and they both looked at me and Michael.

"Daddy?" I whispered.

"Don't worry, Eleanor. Everything is going to be okay, I just have to go." He gave Michael and hug and walked over to me. He hugged me tighter than usual and he put a kiss on my cheek. "I love you baby girl, I'll see you soon." he said.

"Bye dad." I sighed and then he went down the stairs and left the house.

"You guys have school in the morning, please get back to bed." my mother said, turning back into her room. I did the same as her and I closed my bedroom door. I curled up under the blankets and began to cry. My dad just got home and now he's leaving.

~~~

My alarm clock began to echo through my room and I groaned, throwing my pillow over my face. Only fell asleep an hour ago and now I had to be at school in forty-five minutes. I changed into a purple sweater, black skinny jeans, and white boots. I didn't bother to put on makeup or put my contacts in. I pulled my hair up in a messy bun and brushed my teeth. I heard the car horn from Matt's truck and I grabbed my bag and phone. I said goodbye to my mother and walked outside. I got in the passenger side of Matt's truck and smiled weakly at him.

"Good morning, beautiful." he smiled.

"Morning." I sighed.

"Is everything alright, El?" he asked, placing his hand on my knee.

A lump formed in my throat as I was trying to hold by my tears. I looked down at my lap and let a few tears slip out and down my cheeks. I shook my head and sniffled. "M-my dad l-left." I stuttered.

"Ellie I'm so sorry." Matt hugged me and kissed my cheek, the same place my dad did.

"He just came back. They called him back." I looked up at Matt and he looked just as upset as I am.

"We don't have to go to school today." Matt offered. "It's Friday, we could skip." That earned a giggle out of me.

"No, we have big lab to do in chemistry today. I'll be okay." I smiled at him and then kissed his cheek.

"Alright, but remember, we can leave whenever you want to."

And then we pulled out of my driveway. Matt held my knee the whole ride to the school and when we got out, Matt met up with his friends from football. We came back from Florida on Tuesday and since then, I've been sitting with Matt and his friends at lunch. I made a friend, her name is Natalie. She's dating Matt's friend, Brandon. She reminds of my friend, Emily, home in Pittsburgh. Emily's father was also a marine, so she understood how hard it was for me.

Matt and his friends were goofing off before we went into the school, but I wasn't really paying attention. Besides Emily and Brandon, they're the only ones I like.

My phone was in my back pocket and I felt it vibrate. Finally, it gave me something else to do. It was from Nash.

Nash Grier: What's up, El?

Me: Nothing, just watching Matt and his meat-head friends goof off.

Nash Grier: Haha that sucks. Do you miss me?

Me: Why would I miss you? Haha, jk, I miss you. I miss all of you guys.

Nash Grier: wink I'm glad. How's your dad, Matt told me that he came home.

Me: Um, we went to father-daughter dance and then really early this morning he had to leave.

Nash Grier: Oh Ellie, I'm sorry.

Me: It's fine, don't worry about it.

And that was the last of the conversation. Matt didn't even notice that I wasn't paying any attention to him or his friends. I turned away from him and I walked into the school.

~~~

My lab partner and I finished cleaning up our lab station just before the bell rang. I gathered my stuff and waited for Matthew before leaving the classroom.

"Are coming over my house to study?" I asked.

"How about we go over my house and not study?" he suggested, then kissing my lips.

"I don't think so." I smiled. "Midterms are next week and you need to study. I know you can pass but we haven't studied in awhile."

"You're no fun." he pouted, giving me puppy dog eyes.

"I'm sorry." I kissed his cheek and we went separate ways to our lockers.

I put my books in my bag and when I looked up, I saw Matt come over to me. He wrapped his arms around me from behind and he held me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes, I am." I turned around and looked at him. I wrapped my arms around his neck. "I'm okay." I smiled, kissing him.

« PrevNext »