Epilogue

The Funeral

The Funeral

It always seemed to rain at funerals.

Honey usually preferred the rain, but today - today was different. Everyday from now until she, too, was being buried into the ground would be different. What used to feel like solace, a calmness that would wash over her every time she would listen to the droplets fall, would now only remind her of the never-ending pit that grew inside of her stomach as she watched Steve's casket being lowered into the dirt.

She wanted to scream, cry, claw at the metal that encased his body - anything to stop them from covering him in worms and wet grime where she could never see him again.

But she didn't.

Her body was essentially rooted in place, fixated to her spot in the row of chairs at the very front. Honey had willed herself to look away as the casket disappeared into the ground, but her eyes were frozen on the spot, afraid that if she did look away - that meant it truly was the end.

There was a numbness that had set in the day he died, and it never really went away since. She had cried, for days, it was a part of her routine until it wasn't. Her dark eyes burned with dryness, the stinging pain shooting through them with every blink. Her body couldn't produce anymore water to allow her to shed the tears she knew would come, she was empty, comatose.

So much so that even after the ceremony had ended, and everyone filed out of the cemetery a few at a time, Honey stayed embedded to her seat. Her feet never twitched, her chest rose and fell steadily as she stared at the hole in the dirt.

She didn't want to leave him.

And despite her detached state, she could feel the eyes on her. The same blue eyes she had met the day he had died, hovering over him protectively, were scrutinizing her now. Peeking over slowly at the man who stared at her solemnly, she observed the way his long, black hair was pulled back into a sleek bun and the way his face hadn't been shaved in a while. His eyebrows were pulled together as they made eye contact for a few seconds, his eyes reminding her of the ones she missed so much - a twinge of sadness rippling through her heart once more.

Her clammy fingers picked at her cuticles as they sat in her lap, her eyes following his figure as he cautiously approached her, the rain picking up now as the drops splashed against the ground in a heavy manner.

Even the giant, black umbrella couldn't fully protect her, the socks she had on were damp already inside of her boots - not that she minded much.

"Bucky," Honey stated coolly, her voice unwavering.

The man glanced down at her in response, swallowing the lump in his throat before taking the soaked seat next to her. His black suit was clearly drenched, but he seemed entirely unfazed, resting his elbows on his knees as he intertwined his fingers.