Closer

Miraculous Fanworks Booster Prompt- Waiting through a restless night, Marinette reflects on moments where falling asleep brought her and Adrien closer.

Marinette tossed and turned, then tossed and turned again. It didn't matter what she did, she just couldn't get comfortable or stop her mind racing long enough to be able to get to sleep. Eventually she gave up and got out of the luxurious king size bed and slipped on her pink fluffy slippers.

Wrapping a light silk gown around her shoulders, Marinette opened the glass sliding door that led out to the small balcony. The air was balmy, despite the late hour, but the moon was high and it reminded her of a library of memories, making her feel nostalgic.

She looked behind her at the illuminated clock beside the bed. It was a little after 1AM. They had received a tip off with a lead on the new supervillain and Chat and Ryuko had gone to investigate. That was almost an hour ago now. Marinette tried not to worry. She knew her Kitty could handle himself, and he wasn't out there alone, but she wished she could have been there with him. The movement in her abdomen reminded her that she wasn't alone either, and why she had to stay behind. She ran her hand over her baby bump, a small foot making its presence known just under her ribs.

"I feel you there Emma." Marinette said softly, rubbing the spot gently until the foot retreated back. "I want daddy home safe too."

"You should get some sleep." Tikki said, floating up beside her. "Adrien wouldn't want you waiting up all night for him."

"I couldn't possibly sleep." Marinette replied, resting her hands on the balcony rail. "I've slept beside him so long now I can't sleep without him."

"Well why don't you work on your scrapbook? It will help the time pass quicker."

Marinette looked back out over the quiet Parisian skyline. She wasn't even sure where they were or how long they might be. "I guess you're right Tikki. There isn't much point just standing here waiting. Besides, I did want to get that scrapbook done before Emma gets here. Somehow I don't think I'll have much time to work on it afterwards."

Closing the sliding door behind her, Marinette turned on the kitchen light on her way through to the study. She cringed a little at the mess her study was in. She really needed to sort it out before the baby came, but that wasn't a job for tonight. She sat down at her desk and picked up the framed photo of her wedding day. The photo was taken in front of the Mayor's office, Adrien in a dark suit and she in a soft white dress of her own design. They looked so young, well they were, but also so very happy. That was almost five years ago now, but it had felt like yesterday, and now they were expecting a baby. A very wriggly baby if all the movements she was feeling were any indication.

She placed the frame down and opened up the scrapbook. The first page it opened at was where she was making a collage of trips she and her friends had taken in high school. There was a picture of her and Alya standing in front of one of the fountains at Versailles. Another of Alix dragging her up a mountain hiking expedition and a snap Marinette had taken of Kim and Nino hightailing it across a field being chased by a very cranky bull. Marinette chuckled at the memory.

"Oh, I remember this one." Tikki said, pointing to a picture of Adrien and Marinette, both passed out asleep on a beach deck chair. "Didn't Alya take that one?"

~~~~~

Marinette ran as fast as her legs could carry her, waving down the bus and it started to pull out from the school. "Wait for me!" She yelled out, relief washing over her as the bus abruptly stopped and the door opened up.

"I'm so sorry Miss Bustier." Marinette apologised. "I overslept."

"Well I'm glad you made it in the end." Miss Bustier replied, indicating with her hand down the aisle. "Take a seat and we'll be on our way."