Stronger Together

Set at the end of Strike Back - When all the world seems hopeless, Ladybug discovers what is most important to her, her partner Chat Noir

Tom and Sabine knew something was wrong with their daughter as she pushed her dinner around on her plate. They had heard about Adrien leaving to go on a world trip for his father, and naturally Marinette would be upset about that, but they had never seen her looking so listless before, like her whole world had just imploded.

"Honey, are you alright? Is there something you want to talk about?" Sabine asked gently.

Marinette slowly shook her head. "I'm just not hungry." She replied, pushing away her plate. "Can I be excused please? I think I just want to go to bed early."

"Of course sweetheart." Tom replied. "Are you sure you don't need anything?"

"I just want to be alone if that's okay." She was trying hard to keep it together and not to cry in front of them.

"Go ahead dear." Sabine said softly, placing her hand on Marientte's shoulder. "Just remember we are here for you if you need us."

Marinette nodded her head and slowly made her way back to her room. Closing the trap door behind her, Tikki flew out of her purse and looked at her with worried eyes. Marinette went over to her sewing box and pressed the secret code that opened it. The Miracle Box was still there, but empty. Marinette lifted her head and looked at Tikki who was floating nearby. The room suddenly felt so quiet without the chatter of the other kwamis. She had become so accustomed to their banter and playfulness. There would be no more wise words from Sass and Wayzz, no more positive energy from Diazzi and Pollen or crazy ideas from Fluff and Kaalki.

Marinette's eyes began to well again with tears. She really was all alone now. Closing the Miracle Box back into its hiding place, Marinette called on her transformation and threw her yo-yo into the night.

Landing on the rooftop that overlooked the Eiffel Tower, Ladybug had become consumed by hopelessness. For the first time since she had become Ladybug, Shadow Moth had won. He had all of the Miraculous and as his image loomed large over the city, her fears were only compounded by his threats. He would use every Miraculous at his disposal to bring her down and he could do it, and she knew that he could.

How could she have been such a fool? How could she have not seen past that facade to see that it was Félix on the train and not Adrien? Was it Risk that made her not question her motives? No, no it couldn't have been. The plan would have worked, it all would have been fine if it had been Adrien. She knew in her heart that he would never have betrayed her. Adrien... what would he think of her now? The great heroine of Paris hyperventilating on his bathroom floor fooled by his own cousin. She almost couldn't bare the thought of seeing him again after this or Chat for that matter. She was sure that Chat Noir would never want to see her ever again after this, and she couldn't blame him.

Ladybug wrapped her arms tighter around her legs. She had failed everyone, but most especially her partner. Now she was all alone and it was her own fault. She pulled out her hair ties in frustration, freeing her pigtails and throwing the ties off the rooftop she was sitting upon. Rain had lightly begun to fall over the city, her hair clinging to her neck and face but she didn't care. It was all over. There was nothing stopping Shadow Moth from taking her Miraculous now. She might as well just give up and hand them over.

"I've lost everything." She heaved out, her body becoming racked with sobs as she buried her face back into her arms.

"You haven't lost me."

Ladybug lifted her tear stained face to see Chat Noir standing beside her, his stance and face defiant as he stared down the image of Shadow Moth in the distance. She thought he would be angry at her, he had every right to be, but his countenance was calm, his eyes determined.