3. I Am Bulletproof

Surprisingly, the small crowd Ashley had brought me to didn’t look judgemental. Not yet, anyway. ‘I’m The Cursed, or Raven.’ I said, letting go of Ash’s hand. ‘I’m Jinxx, or The Mystic.’ The man who’d introduced himself held the hand of a girl with black and red hair and blue eyes. I gave him a smile. He had black hair that was shorter than the other guys in front of me. He had piercing blue eyes a few shades darker than The Prophet’s. One of his eyes was ringed by a black diamond. The girl whose hand he was holding stepped forward and gave me a hug. ‘I’m Sammi, or The Doll. I’m Jinxx’s wife.’ She added. I had a feeling Sammi was going to be the sister I’d always wanted, but never had. The contrast of colour in her hair meant that she stood out a little from the others in the group.

The tallest of the three guys gave me a hug. ‘I’m The Destroyer, or Christian Coma. CC for short.’ He introduced himself. He had black hair slightly longer than The Prophet’s. He had dark brown eyes and a tan. A large smile seemed to be a permanent fixture on his face. A black and white paisley print bandanna held his hair back and three horizontal tear drops were painted beneath his eyes. The last guy stepped forward once CC had released me. ‘Jake, The Mourner,’ he told me, giving me a small bow. I smiled as he straightened up. He was the one who’d found me. Shaggy hair reached slightly past his collar and his skin was slightly darker than Jinxx’s but not as dark as CC’s. Two black lines were drawn across one of his cheeks and his open jacket revealed the name Carolyn on his chest. His eyes were dark brown. The last to step forward was the girl that Jake had had his arm around. ‘I’m Ella, The Gunsling. I was engaged to Jake before F.E.A.R. took over.’ She told me, giving me a hug, too. A clear British accent was clear as she spoke. She had dark brown hair that was almost black and blue eyes.

The moment Ella let go of me, The Prophet stormed past us, looking disgruntled, and slammed the door behind him. The guys rolled their eyes. ‘Well, what’s got his knickers in a knot?’ Ella muttered. I couldn’t help but laugh. If a phrase, even as simple as that, was said in The City, the offender would have been charged with use of profane language. ‘That’s The Prophet, also known as Andy. He’s basically in charge. The guys are co-leaders with him, but he’s more into organising everything. He’s just having a bad day.’ Sammi informed me. She seemed to sense that something must’ve happened between the two of us already.

‘So, a little birdie – an angry birdie, but still a birdie – told me you killed a Minion on the way out here.’ CC said, slinging an arm around my shoulders. ‘Yeah,’ I confirmed, nodding my head a little. I wasn’t totally sure of the significance of that. Was it some kind of induction into the Wild Ones? ‘Awesome. Have your powers come yet?’ Jinxx asked. I frowned, confused. ‘Powers?’ I repeated. ‘Yeah; when you kill a Minion, your powers are unlocked.’ Jake explained. ‘What do you mean unlocked?’ I asked, feeling stupid. It was like they were speaking another language. I just couldn’t comprehend what they were saying. ‘The Minions possess simple psychic powers which force ours to appear. Basically, by killing a Minion, you gain some sort of power that suits or defends you.’ Ashley explained. By the look on his face, he seemed to understand that this was difficult for an outsider to grasp.

‘So what can you do?’ CC asked. They looked at me with a degree of expectancy in their eyes. ‘I-I don’t know.’ I stuttered, feeling a little embarrassed. ‘Fair enough; it mightn’t have manifested yet.’ Ella said, instantly making me feel better. ‘What can you guys do?’ I asked, curiously. I might as well find out what sort of powers I was going to have. ‘I can play mind games to confuse people, using telepathy, hence “The Deviant”.’ Ashley replied. Jinxx spoke next. ‘Pyrokinesis; I can set fire to anything using my mind.’ He said, tapping his temple. ‘I can make someone remember their guiltiest or saddest moment. They call me The Mourner for a reason.’ Jake added, cracking a smile. ‘I can shoot bullets from my hands.’ Ella told me. ‘I can create shockwaves if I hit the ground.’ CC said next. ‘I can remember everything and show it to others using telepathy. It’s kind of like having a photographic memory.’ Sammi continued. ‘And Andy can see the future.’ Ashley concluded. I nodded while processing the information. To put it bluntly, I was going to have the equivalent of superpowers.