4. Abeyance

A few weeks had passed since I'd first found the Wild Ones. Things were okay now, just as Ashley had promised. The Wild Ones were friendly, accepting and made me feel at home at the camp. The only problem I had was Andy. Our relationship was cold, which was both an understatement and a nice way of putting it. I had no idea what I'd done to make him hate me so much, but if I spoke he glared at me and he found ways to start arguments over the stupidest things. I had a feeling if I said the sky was blue, he'd disagree, just because it was me who'd said it. To tell the truth, it was starting to piss me off.

'Raven!' a voice called. I turned in the hall to face the owner. I'd just left my room and I was on my way down to the main hall for breakfast. Ashley and my new friend Amber were coming towards me. I smiled and waved to them. The three of us were dressed similarly. I adopted the Legion's black attire since joining them, and it made me happy to feel I belonged.

Amber's bright orange hair tied in a braid today. During raids, she had to cover it with a black bandanna. It made her an easy target. She had hazel eyes, a different shade to mine. She was about twenty, but she could have passed for sixteen.

'Hi, guys,' I greeted them. Ashley smiled. 'Morning, Raven.' He replied. We stood in the centre of the hallway for a second as I hugged Amber. 'Shall we, ladies?' Ashley said, holding an arm out to both of us. The three of us linked arms and skipped down to the main hall. When we arrived, Ashley released our arms as the three of us laughed. We grabbed our plates of bread and fruit. We were about to head over to our usual spot in the corner Ash and I had sat in on the night of my induction, when we were intercepted by Andy.

'Why the hell are you so happy this morning?' Andy grumbled, glaring at the three of us. We ceased our laughing immediately and I turned to glare at him. 'Who crapped in your cornflakes?'

'Well, "good morning" to you, too.' Amber and I replied at the same time. Ash rolled his eyes, but stayed out of it. He knew that when Amber and I got going, there was no point trying to stop us. Andy turned his glare from me to Amber. 'No one, there are no cornflakes, are there?' he replied, his tone clearly suggesting he was questioning her intelligence. Amber turned red, most likely with both embarrassment and anger. I opened my mouth to reply, but I was cut off by Ash. 'Would it kill you to be nice for once?' he snapped. Before Andy could reply, Ash steered us away, leaving him glaring in our wake. As the three of us plopped down, I caught a flash of Andy's thoughts. His thoughts were none to flattering and it made me wonder why we even bothered listening to him.

We ate breakfast, our conversation mostly light. 'But seriously,' I began, swallowing the last of my fruit. 'Is Andy always like this?' Ashley sighed, pushing his plate away. 'No. He's just pissed off because you argued with him on your first day here.' He told me. I rolled my eyes. 'Typical egotistical leader.' I muttered. I saw Ashley roll his eyes.

'Who is?' another voice asked, joining our conversation. I jumped and looked up to see Andy towering over us. 'Shit.' I mumbled, unsure whether he was annoyed or not. 'Me? Am I right?' he continued. I looked down at my hands. 'Look, I know I've been an ass to you since you arrived, as Ashley so thoroughly pointed out.' He added. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him glare at Ashley. Finally, I swallowed and looked up at Andy. 'You can say that again.' I agreed. The belittlement of my father's death still made me mad and the fact that Andy couldn't see the problem with what he'd said just made it worse.

Andy's facial expression changed immediately. He narrowed his eyes at me and his face turned slightly red. Now you've done it. 'You know, I came over here to apologise but if you're too much of an immature bitch to —' He didn't get to finish his sentence. I leapt to my feet and let my fist connect with his jaw. He staggered back in shock, holding his jaw. He gaped at me for a moment, before closing his mouth and glaring at me. The hall had gone silent. 'No one calls me a bitch and gets away with it.' I spat. His hand fell away, forming into a fist. His lip had split and blood was dripping down his jaw. CC and Jinxx grabbed his arms from behind, restraining him. 'Bitch,' he hissed as they began to drag him away. 'Bastard!' I called after him.