9. Days Are Numbered

'Wild Ones! Today is the first day of F.E.A.R.'s downfall! This year, we will take our final steps towards freedom!' Andy's declaration cut through the post-breakfast chatter on New Year's Day. I glanced over my shoulder to see him standing on the platform at the front of the hall. Sammi had whispered to me that this was his annual speech, and though he had every intention of fulfilling it, I shouldn't hold my breath. Of course, she wasn't being spiteful, but we both knew it was difficult to actually overthrow F.E.A.R. It would be a long road to that destination.

Nonetheless, the Legion cheered, including myself. I watched as a bright smile stretched across his lips, sending my heart fluttering. I scowled at myself. You've got Ashley. A stern voice in my head reminded me. Juliet stood up from where she'd been sitting and wrapped her arms around him. His smile seemed to widen, if possible, and he kissed her deeply. Jealousy swirled in my stomach, mixing with guilt as I remembered Ashley again. I glanced away as the room erupted in wolf whistles.

I was beginning to feel as though I was just stringing Ashley along. I'd liked him as more than a friend at the start, but the spark had faded over time until it was non-existent. Ashley was still my best friend, but it felt strange to kiss him. I dreaded the day where he'd find out, or I'd have to tell him. I was scared that he'd hate me. I didn't want to lose him.

Ashley grabbed my hand, breaking me out of my thoughts. I jumped and blushed, feeling guilty about my previous thoughts. 'You feeling okay?' He murmured in my ear. I nodded, vigorously. 'Can we talk? In private.' He added. I nodded again. We stood up, still holding hands, and slipped through the crowd. We walked for a while until we couldn't hear the Legion anymore. Then he dropped my hand.

'Rave, I don't think things are really working out between us.' He began. I felt a sinking in my stomach. Had he noticed my attitude towards Andy? Did he know? I opened my mouth to apologise, but he held up a hand to stop me. 'Let me finish. You're my best friend and I don't want that to change. I've seen the way you look at Andy, and I've seen the way you look at me. I can't compare that. Before you get all soppy on me, I'm alright, okay? I've had my fair share of breakups. Besides, I feel like things between us haven't been all that great since we first started going out. You're my best friend, Rave. But I just don't feel that way for you.' He exhaled after his conclusion and looked at me. I sighed in relief. 'Oh, thank God. I thought I was the only one. I thought I was leading you on.' I admitted. He laughed. 'I think we were both leading each other on.' He replied. We laughed together. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

We walked back to the room we'd shared for the past few months. The days of our relationship had been numbered. I'd known that for a while, but I was surprised that it hadn't been the blow up I'd been expecting. Something occurred to me as we reached the hall our room was located on. I stopped in my tracks, causing him to stop a few steps in front of me.

'What did you mean we were both leading each other on?' I asked. For only the second time I'd seen in all the time I'd known Ashley, he blushed. He looked down at the floor, and moved his combat boots in circles against the stone floor. When he didn't reply, I smirked. 'Okay, who's the girl you like so much?' I asked. His face reddened and he continued his silence. 'Don't make me guess.' I whined. He finally looked up. 'Aren't you supposed to mad at me?' He asked. I laughed. 'Ash, I was your girlfriend, but I am always your friend. If you're cool with me having feelings for Andy, then I'm cool with you having feelings for whoever it is. This breakup is mutual, remember?' I added. 'Okay, fine. It's Amber.'

'I knew it!' I declared, smiling widely at him. 'You should tell her. She likes you, too.' I told him. 'She'll just laugh at me.' He disagreed. 'You've got to be kidding me. When we got together, you told me and kissed me before I could reply. Do the same with her. Just tell her we broke up first and that you guys have my blessing. She'll slap you otherwise.' I told him. He smiled. 'Okay.' He agreed. 'Now go tell her.' I instructed.