Audrey Miller

Pemberton
17th February 1881

The daylight was warm and soothing as the raindrops carelessly fell upon the meadows of Pemberton.
Pemberton was one of the outlying countryside towns in England. Though not a famous one, its vineyards were quite the talk of the prestigious countrymen.

It was Audrey's childhood and the rest of her life. Born and brought up by her stepfather and stepmother, 'The Millers', Audrey did not know the mother who gave birth to her, and neither did they because she was just left outside their front door 20 years ago. When asked by every man and wife in the town along with the villages that were nearby, none had an answer or a clue as to who could have been her mother. Or even father.
So the kind clergyman of the town had decided to take her in. He was John Miller. His wife, Angela too, who was Audrey's stepmother loved her dearly until her love was divided when she herself gave birth to a baby girl named 'Aurora'.
Though Angela never treated Audrey like an outsider or even mistreat her, she just distanced herself from her which although, was disheartening for Audrey but quite understandable too.

Ever since Aurora was 4, Audrey always told her stories and tales of fiction or nonfiction while putting her to bed. They were inseparable. Even though Audrey was aware of the fact that she was Miller's adopted daughter and Aurora's stepsister, she never let her relationship affect their sisterhood.
As far as Audrey's love for her family was concerned, she loved them either way. Adoptive or not. It didn't matter to her.

~

Today was Aurora's 17th birthday and Audrey loved her. So much. Thus, she had thought of giving Aurora of what she utmostly desired.

A piece of Audrey's writing.

"and it's complete. Oh dear lord finally! How long have I waited for this moment. Now, all I can do is hope Aurora likes my work."  said Audrey as she looked proud of her accomplishment. Audrey had written a poem for her darling sister and nervousness was getting the better of her. She was scared, or to be more precise, indeed very frightened, for her instinct was somehow discomforting her as if something bad or wrong was definitely going to happen. Her heart by now was beating fast and her hands were trembling.
"Audrey my dear. You're next darling. Come on in." called her father from their drawing room. And all she could do was to take a deep breath and let destiny take its own way.

~

As Audrey entered her drawing room, she saw many people had gathered to celebrate her dear sister's birthday and was indeed very ecstatic to see her smiling and looking indeed really very beautiful in the gathering of nearly fifty women who were either sisters, daughters, mothers or wives of the gentlemen who had been on the other side of the room drinking and smoking cigars.
Audrey was a sensible and a brave woman, someone who wasn't afraid of speaking and being pointed out in a crowd of hundreds and thousands of people but today, something was wrong. Something felt different. She did not know what, but she wished the awkward feeling that was growing inside of her every second, to stop. To take a hiatus.
And thus, almost after literally squandering five to ten minutes by just simply standing at one corner of the room, while the gentlemen were staring at her with their lost eyes on her lovely face and her pretty smile, she 'ahemed' catching the women's attention, curtsied everyone in a gentle swaying manner and commenced "A very good morning to this honourable august gathering of my family, my dear little princess Aurora and all the respected sirs and madams. It is my, Audrey Miller's pleasure to welcome you all to my sister's birth anniversary's celebration and in an honour to that, would I now like to present to you, specially you Aurora, a piece of my work. A poetry on love. On affection. And consider this all as a token of love and affection from your loved ones. From your charming husbands, from your loving wives as I now begin.

"Adam and Eve is a legend untold.
Known to many let secrets unfold.
Cast away for a thousand years, beware if heard would soon lead to tears.
Once a person arrived to hear, the great tale of love from a village near.
"Tell me oh great sage, what is it you hide? Is it really a myth or a history sufficed?"
"The past is both vivid and clear. But all I see is something you fear.
Come son of Adam, look beyond your reach. Maybe you can find what I wish teach.
Love is what your mother found. As the destiny itself had bound.
No sooner is what you would seek too, if you decide to greet it with 'bienvenue'.
Your mother was a lady, sweet kind and fair.
A spray of Jasmine was always twined in her hair.
Her voice was just like a cuckoo in a forest, lovely and melodious, the only one in all of hamlet.
Time passed like a blink of an eye. She turned out to be so beautiful, oh my my.
Soon the time arrived, I had awaited for. As my lovely Eve had grown in Moors.
'Dear Eve,
Love is like a sunbeam that glows through the shower and kisses off gently the dews from a flower.'
My Eve had fallen in love with Adam who had a heart of a dove.
Oh my son, you are the symbol of their bond, as you acknowledge the day has dawned.
You shall be known far and wide, for you're the son of Adam deep down inside.
Adam and Eve did die at the stroke of a nigh'
My son, forgive me as I could not save them, as it was indeed a mayhem.
Adam and Eve now reside in the heavens above, celebrating the festival of their love."

" Thank You."

And there it was. The appreciation. The claps that echoed across the room. Everyone had loved it. Aurora was just overwhelmed. She had tears of love and happiness in her eyes. She couldn't help but hug Audrey as fast as she could and thanked her for the wonderful piece. "It was so wonderful sister!" Commented Aurora as she smiled at her sister proudly and eyes full of love.

Audrey on the other hand, just smiled. She then took a deep breath, shaking her worries and anxieties off for a brief moment, replacing the frown on her face with a smile, mustering up all the energy she had to make it look convincing before replying to Aurora in the sweetest manner possible "It had to be, my dear. After-all it was meant for you and your birthday!"

She did not do these things for appreciation or the praising. Though she had done it for Aurora, there was a part of her that knew the reason as to why she had deeply engrossed herself into writing those days.

It was because of Tom.