epilogue

Veronica

JD didn't show up the following day to play with Grace. She cried the entire afternoon and begged me to stay home from ballet. So I allowed her to. It wasn't until around 4:00 that afternoon that the phone rang. I answered it.

"I'm sorry." The person on the other line said. It was JD.

"Where are you? Grace is a wreck!" I shouted at him.

"Shut the fuck up. I'm leaving. I won't ever fucking bother you, Grace, Eden or the new baby again. But remember what I said about getting an abortion. I'll keep my word on that." JD threatened me.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him. 

"If I don't fucking leave, I'm going to jail for the rest of my life." He answered me. "If you tell the police that I called, I'll have you killed. Don't make our daughters orphans, Veronica." He went on.

"Fine." I agreed to his terms.

"I love you." He told me.

Don't say it back.

"I love you too." I mumbled.

"Tell the girls I love them too. They'll understand when they're older." He requested for me to let them know he wasn't coming back.

"Why'd you lie to Grace?" I questioned, needing to know.

"Because she had to learn at some point that I was going to disappoint her." He answered before the line went dead aside from that annoying humming sound of the call being ended.

I was free. Finally. I had to raise three children on my own because of him but I was free. I cried tears of joy as I told my mother. She shook her head, said it was just like him to leave to avoid the consequences of his actions.

She's right.

At least he won't fucking bother me again. He'll sneak into Germany and live a life of crime. Maybe he'll start a new family and think of us sometimes.

Do you really fucking miss him?

No, of course not.

Liar.

I know.