fourteen

Veronica

Living with my parents was going harder than I had anticipated. They had little trust in anything I did or said. After a few weeks of it, I confronted them about it.

"Veronica, we know you wrote those notes for him." My mother stated clearly.

"Okay, he literally killed a girl in front of me and I was scared he was going to kill me!" I explained why I wrote the note for Heather Chandler.

"And the note for those two boys?" My father queried, not looking up from his stupid spy novel.

"He had me convinced that the bullets weren't bullets." I went on explaining.

"Don't be serious. You're not that naïve, Veronica." My father scoffed as he sat down his book.

"I believed him, okay?" I mumbled quietly. "He was really sweet at that time. He never did anything to hurt me until after that." I added.

"He manipulated her into trusting him." My mother told my father, defending me much to my surprise.

"He's a very good manipulator. I mean, he manipulated the entire police department." I added, trying to make it seem as though I wasn't foolish for falling for JD's charms.

But you were.

I was not. He is a manipulative asshole.

Don't you love him?

No.

Liar.

I'm not lying! I hate JD. I hate him. He ruined my life.

You are totally lying. You love him more than you love anyone else, admit it. You know it's true.

It is not!

Yes it is.

"Just shut up, Heather!" I blurted out suddenly, my hands not quick enough to cover my mouth.

Uh oh.

"What has gotten into you?" My mother asked me. I started to shake a little bit.

"Nothing." I lied to her before going up to my bedroom and locking the door behind me. Grace and Eden were spending the day at the zoo with Betty, who had taken to spoiling them like they were her own children. Not wanting to admit to my parents that I hallucinate, I simply hid.

But I wasn't alone. Of course I wasn't. That would be too easy. The closet door opened suddenly and JD was standing there, seemingly poised. I caught sight of the knife in his hand easily. "You know, the cops took my gun, but they sell knives at hardware stores. Anyone can buy one of those." He stated, not offering an explanation for why he was here or how he was out.

"You're not supposed to be here." I told him.

"Oh I know." He scoffed. "Just came to pay my girls a visit." He added.

"Grace and Eden are at the zoo." I informed him, folding my arms over my chest in an attempt to protect myself.

"With whom?" He queried lightly, playing with the knife as he spoke.

"Betty Finn, their godmother." I told him.

"Isn't deciding the godparents a decision both parents make?" He asked me.

"Not when you're going to prison." I scoffed at him.

"See that's the thing, doll face. I won't be going to prison." He said, which I laughed at. "Laugh all you want but it's true. My shitbag father will get me a good lawyer. In exchange for seeing his granddaughters just one time." He added.

"That's not happening." I argued with him. "Your father beat you as a kid and he's a pervert. Absolutely fucking not." I went on. But suddenly the knife was at my throat and I gasped. His other hand was on the back of my neck, holding me still.

"You will though. Or I'll kill you." He threatened. "You're gonna take me back in the end, we both know it." He teased me, the knife still dangerously close to my skin.

"You can't kill me." I reminded him.

"Why's that, hm?" He questioned me. I looked him dead in those soulless blue eyes.

"Because then you'd be just like your father. He killed your mother, didn't he, JD?" I asked in reply, knowing I was pushing his buttons.

"Shut the fuck up, Veronica." He hissed at me, pushing the knife a tiny bit closer "Get on the bed. Now." He demanded.

Not willing to die, and used to being used, I did as he asked as soon as his hand was off my neck. I stumbled away from the knife he had near my throat and made my way to my bed, where I sat down.

How ironic. The place he probably knocked you up. Wonder if he'll do it again.

He won't. "Do you have a condom?" I asked him.

"You haven't realized what I'm here to do, have you?" He questioned in response. I shook my head no. "I'm here to get you pregnant. And I hope you have fun raising a preschooler, a toddler and a newborn by yourself." He explained what he was planning on doing.

"I'll just get an abortion." I said, poking a hole through his plans.

"If you do, you'll be dead before it's even over." He threatened me. "I will have someone kill you, Veronica. Don't fuck with me." He added.

"Why are you so dead set on ruining my goddamn life?" I asked him as he ripped my shirt down the middle.

"Because you've ruined mine. An eye for an eye." He grinned at me, sickly sweet. "It's a good thing the girls are at the zoo. That means I can spend all day with you." He whispered into my ear.

Block it out.

I am.