three

Veronica

After JD and I reconciled, we went inside and made it in time for the end of our second period, which we had together. Third period I had P.E. and JD had English 3.

P.E. was incredibly easy because our teacher is misogynistic and doesn't have the girls do anything other than sit on the bleachers filling out papers about sports rather than actually playing. He didn't even let the girls on sports teams participate. I had it with Heather McNamara, who was instantly intrigued seeing as JD walked me to class.

"Did you two make up?" Heather asked me as we found our spot on the bleachers.

"Yeah." I answered sort of quietly. Heather sat her purse down and went to grab our assignments. Today we had to fill out a sports crossword, which would be oh so challenging.

"But you said you'd never ever forgive him for what he did." Heather reminded me when she returned as she passed me my clipboard.

"I was just being overly emotional." I said, repeating what JD had told me.

"Was it like PMS or something?" Heather questioned.

"No." I replied, trying to finish filling out the answers in the stupid crossword.

"Are you pregnant?" Heather asked in a hushed whisper, despite the fact that no one sat near us. I shushed her anyways. "Oh my god!" She gasped, covering her mouth in an animated fashion.

"It's not a big deal and I don't want everyone knowing right now." I explained to her. "So don't tell anybody." I added.

"I won't." She promised me. "Are you guys gonna keep it?" She wanted to know.

"Well, yeah. School's almost over. We're almost adults, Heather." I reminded her as if it was obvious I'd keep the baby, as if I wasn't planning on getting an abortion an hour and a half ago.

"Oh yeah." She giggled in a airheaded way.

"I'll tell everyone else when the time is right." I assured her. Then she started talking about something else and I didn't think of the fact I was pregnant until I was at lunch.

JD had taken his seat next to mine. I sat with Heather, Heather, Betty and Martha now. Heather Duke was still a bitch most of the time but she's getting better so we tolerate her. But if she ever pulls any shit again, I won't be as forgiving.

"So, has Veronica had the chance to tell any of you the wonderful news?" JD asked, being unusually friendly with my friends. McNamara looked around, making it obvious she already knew.

"What are you talking about?" Duke questioned in reply. I cringed as JD spilled the beans, telling all of my friends that I was pregnant without even consulting me first.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Betty asked me.

"We just found out yesterday." JD explained to Betty, who didn't seem too thrilled he answered for me.

"Do your parents know?" Martha asked.

"Not yet." I said before JD had the chance to speak up for me. "It's no big deal, JD and I are almost eighteen anyways." I told everyone, brushing it off a little bit.

"You don't seem too excited." Duke remarked as a hint of a cocky grin appeared on her face.

"I'm still in shock. Again, I've had less than 24 hours to process it." I reminded her, to which she rolled her eyes.

"They're gonna keep the baby." McNamara piped up to add after a moment of silence, still seemingly surprised by this.

"Because we're almost adults." JD added. "I'm going to get a job and a place for us to live. Once the baby's a few months old, I'll start taking a couple night classes at the community college." He laid out our plan for my friends.