ten

Veronica

"This place isn't terrible." I said to JD, who sighed. We had spent the past two weeks looking for an apartment. Things were getting cramped in the motel and we had been bickering all day. But nothing in the past two weeks had gone past bickering. Unfortunately for JD and his Baby #2 Request, it's going to take longer than two weeks to convince me to get pregnant again.

"Well, that's a start, I guess." JD replied as I readjusted Grace on my hip, she had been fidgeting and started to slid downwards. "Some paint would probably help this place." He added.

"Probably." I responded. JD stood in front of me and sighed again.

"Listen, this is the last apartment available here that we can afford. Either we get this place or we'll continue living in a hotel." He explained to me.

"Furniture will help." I muttered, to which he grinned from ear to ear.

"That's my girl!" He exclaimed. Grace squawked at him, assuming he must be speaking to her. She was dada's girl, not mommy. He planted a kiss on my lips. "I'll go let the landlord know we'll take it." He informed me before walking away to do just that. I opted for another look around at the apartment, which was actually a small one-floor starter home. From the sixties, might I add.

JD and I had been standing in the kitchen, which was on the smaller side. It wasn't unbearable, just not as big as our previous kitchen. Appliances, including a washer and dryer, were provided by the landlord. We had searched for places like that. Ones where we wouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on new appliances.

The living room is actually where people walked into the house. It was bare currently but it was decently sized for a family of three, maybe four. Furniture would make the space look better for sure. I continued to walk with Grace to the next room over, which was a vacant dining room. The dining room had four rooms off of it, three bedrooms and the living room. The house was small and T-shaped.

I walked into the biggest room, which would be JD and I's room. It too was empty but it was the only room in which I liked the color on the walls, mostly because it was a deep relaxing blue. The closet was large enough to house the wardrobe I'd left behind in Sherwood. I left that room and went across the empty dining room to Grace's bedroom. It was empty but I could easily imagine a crib and pale pink walls. The last room would be for baby number two, if it ever happens.

I walked out of Grace's room and went outside to JD and the landlord. JD had the keys in his hands, he turned around and jangled them at me. I laughed. Grace whined, it was almost naptime. I sighed, realizing that I'd have to sit in the car so she can nap while JD packs up the motel room.

"It's ours, V!" He told me excitedly.

"I see!" I shouted back. "I'm gonna get Gracie in the car." I added as I walked past him to the black car he owned. I opened the backdoor and put Grace into her car seat. She fussed as I did it before I handed her the security blanket she took everywhere. She began to relax rather quickly. "It's okay, sweetheart." I soothed her, petting her head gently to get her to fall asleep.

"Mama." Grace babbled a few moments before she finally drifted off to sleep. I stepped out of the car and closed the door. I got in the front as JD got in the driver's seat. He began to drive to the motel so we could pack up our things. The landlord said we could move in today.

"I'm excited." JD admitted to me.

"Me too." I replied. "Can we get lunch after we get stuff from the motel? It's not much other than our clothes and Gracie's playpen." I asked.

"Yeah why not?" He shrugged lightly. "Then when she wakes up we can go get some paint. We'll drop that stuff off at home and go back out for furniture deliveries and groceries." He added his plan for the rest of the day.

"And we'll be home in time for dinner." I added, smiling at him.

"I'll make you and Grace spaghetti tonight, if you want." He offered. "I know how you like it." He went on.

"That's really sweet." I said, blushing slightly from his sweetness despite the bickering we've been doing. "How are we going to keep Gracie away from the paint fumes?" I queried.

"She can sleep in the other room until the smell in hers goes away." He answered, as if it was obvious.

"This is crazy." I muttered. "We just started renting a house in a day." I said in disbelief.

"Pre-approved." He remarked. "I know realtors, V." He added before finally pulling me close to him for the drive. "I love you." He told me.

"I love you too." I replied.

The rest of the day went as planned. We managed to get a TV today but we had no cable so it didn't really do us any good. Our couches, beds and dining set were all ordered. They'd be delivered over the next few days. It wasn't until JD told the delivery clerk that the person who'd need to sign would be Jason Dollanganger. I recognized the last name from Flowers in the Attic, which JD liked for being an incredibly dark story. He did criticize it heavily for the incestuous nature of the story but he still was a fan of the book. We both were. But since our furniture wouldn't be coming for a bit, we still had a lack of things to do other than talk or go out. And it was getting late, Grace would need to be in bed by eight pm. We knew that tomorrow would be spent at stores buying the essentials like sheets and laundry soap and dishes that aren't made of paper.

Over dinner, I asked JD why he'd given a fake name to the delivery man. "Because Jason Dean is the name of a wanted kidnapper. I had birth certificates made up for myself but I have to go tomorrow for you and Grace. I wanted to ask if you wanted the same last name as me, if you want to live like we're married." He explained himself and it was a logical reason for a false identity.

"Are you asking me to marry you?" I questioned, almost taken aback by this.

"Are you saying yes?" He queried in reply. I started to laugh nervously.

"Um, isn't it a bit soon?" I asked.

"Well it wouldn't be anything other than legal right now. We don't have to have a ceremony until you're ready." He told me, which made it sound a lot more appealing.

"Then yeah." I said. It was an easy decision for me but I didn't feel like I had much of a choice in the matter.

You didn't.

Quiet, you.

He's not even actually fucking proposing to you! And you're going to say yes? God, you must really hate yourself.

That's besides the point.

Remember Veronica, he's your abuser. He's not to be trusted.

I love him.

Your funeral. Mine too, I suppose. But do I need to remind you that he's raped you?

No. Please, don't.

That he's raped me? That he forced you to listen after knowing you less than twelve hours. You must have been really sick to stay.

He had just killed you. I figured it would be next me if I left.

And yet you still fell in love with him.

I didn't mean to.

"Veronica?" JD questioned anxiously. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied to him, giving him a fake smile before taking a bite of my food.

Whoops. How long were you out this time?

Probably only like a minute.

Maybe. Maybe he's been calling your name for half an hour. Your food isn't cold, is it, Veronica?

No, it's not.

Then I suppose you must be correct. But how long do you think you have before he finds out you're crazy?

Shut up.

"I'm just worried." JD told me, putting his hand on mine. "You keep zoning out." He added.

"I'm just tired." I went on lying to him, which I knew was a poor choice of game to play. But he could never know about Heather. He'd put me in a psych ward or some place where I'd never be able to leave him. I couldn't accept a fate like that.