Act 28

2 weeks after Queen Aurella's death

Étrienne's cape flowed with the wind as a low growl rumbles from the beast's chest.

He pressed his hand on its scaly leg, the dragon huffs and flutters its wings.

'The black dread'

He named it after hearing stories from the local fishermen, how it would spread her wings and it would cast a huge shadow from beneath, and how despite her being in their side, they feel fear, they felt dreadful.

Hence the name: "The Black Dread"

"What's taking him so long?" Étrienne growls and looks around to spot the new king of Caledonia, Valerion.

They are to fly together for reconnaissance in a small village far in the north where Cane and his soulless armies reside. No doubt that the inhabitants are already dead. Étrienne sighs and looks down at his feet, he's going to fly with Theodore Hagan Altair, the replacement of Aurella Altair Carlisle. Étrienne's heart squeezed at the word 'replacement', he hated that word despite how the others saw it that way.

A week after Aurella died, Lydia found out a strange substance in his armor, some kind of parasite. So she studied it along with Alexus, Theodore and Irish, researching its components and its effects while he was locked up in Irish's cell, chained to all four corners of the room. Two days have passed, and Irish has freed him.

"You didn't kill her," The queen of the east states while he walks behind her, "Something made you do it."

"What do you mean?" He asks, his voice dry and groggy.

She peered over her shoulder, her blue dress flows smoothly with her movements. "Let's call it 'The puppeteer' since it controls you like a puppet."

Turns out the puppeteer can also make animals go against one another with the intent to kill.

And upon Theodore's research, the puppeteer lasts for ten minutes, before it slips away from the brain and dies, allowing the host to take back control.

Wings flapped from above him, Étrienne looks up to see a man in a silver armor and a blue cape riding a huge albino eagle. "Finally," He sighs as the bird lands next to him, he covers his face as strong gusts of wind blows past his face.

"Forgive me for my tardiness." Theodore gives him a wry smile, "Shall we go now?"

Étrienne says nothing and the black dread grumbles as she lowers her head for the emperor to mount the dragon. "Theodore, I have a question." The younger man with jet-black hair looks at the older man who kept his gaze on him. "What is it, Emperor Thorne?"

He pursed his lips, "Do you forgive me for what I've done to Aurella?"

The King of Caledonia paused, "Do you know what I'm going to answer, Étrienne Thorne?"