Chapter 40

Lannis's chains rattle upon hearing the double doors to her prison open to reveal her brother: Ajin approaches

Lannis's chains rattle upon hearing the double doors to her prison open to reveal her brother: Ajin approaches. The ends of his greatcoat flow with his movements with his hands behind his back, poised, his sharp features glow under the dim light of her holding cell—it's not a cell, but it's a prison, nonetheless.

"You come here at your peril," She remarks, chains rattling and grazing against the floor; thunder booms from a distance as she looks at him, her deep lilac eyes glowing with power.

"I come here whenever I please." He corrects the youngest deity. "Your absence had caused quite a stir in the mortal world."

The latter's eyes flit towards her brother as she fixes her posture, eyes sharpening. "What do you mean?"

The dark-haired deity's lips curl to a cold smile.

"Ajin," She hisses, "What are you not telling me?"

He lols his head to the side, "You lost your right to information when you descended to Caledonia and saved your champion." He circles her, his dark crevices eye the chains that trap her. "However, I will spare a detail or two."

She scoffs, "How generous of you, brother dearest."

"Your absence has caught the attention of the dean of Clalmonia as well as your students," Ajin starts before he brings out a single carnation flower. Lannis's eyes sharpened at the sight of an old relic.

"Where did you get that from?"

"Outside the window of your champion." He muses as he examines it. "I thought I'd never see this flower again; it seems like your champion has caught the eye of one of the least popular sentinels of old."

"When was this–"

"I said I can only say a detail or two." He reminds her as he tosses the flower at her feet for her to see. "That is all I can share–father had strictly told us to withhold information from you."

A curse leaves Lannis's lips. "Set me free."

"I'm afraid not, sister."

"Father is allowing this?" She hisses, "Adrielle brings nothing but destruction and chaos!"

"And yet, your champion summoned her when she thought she was offering a sacrifice to ask for your guidance." He strides toward her and grasps the chain that attaches to her collar. "Let me remind you again, sister, now that change is neigh." Ajin lowers his voice while the younger deity glares at him. "We dying gods won't interfere while fate shapes the lives of our champions, the best we can do is watch and remain deaf to their prayers; an instruction that you fail to acknowledge."

He lets her go, "Which is why... should you ever try to break free or make contact with anyone, Father has given me the authority to stop you." His dark eyes flash to emeralds. "So please, behave."