Chapter 13

"Come in!" Andy stood up from his desk as he watched Angela enter his office, closing the door behind her.

"Professor Barber, you wanted to see me?"

Andy watched her avoiding his gaze as she clutched her books to her chest. "Annie." His voice was pleading as he took a step towards her as she took a step back. He sighed, grabbing her books from her and setting them on his desk. He grabbed her waist as she yelped, pulling her to him, still not looking at him, "for fuck's sake Annie, look at me." He placed his hand on her cheek, making her look up at him, "I miss you."

Angela nodded, "please don't make this harder than it already is Andy."

He ignored her warning, leaning down to kiss her neck, eliciting a whimper from her. She didn't pull away as he trailed his kisses up her neck and chin, hovering his mouth over hers, "I know you want to be with me too."

Angela placed her hand at the nape of his neck, locking eyes with him, "I can't Andy."

He nodded, "you said can't, not that you didn't want to." He heard her groan before pressing her lips to his before there was another knock on the door.

She whispered as she picked up her books, "I can't."

Andy was barely in his chair behind the desk as Mark entered his office, "Mr. Hastings, what can I do for you?" He watched Mark ignore him as he looked at Angela.

"Angie," he gripped her arm, making Andy tense up, "you look good today."

Angela looked at Andy, seeing him clenching the arms of his chair. She looked back at Mark, "thanks. I have to get to my next class. Thank you, Professor Barber."

Andy nodded and smiled, "anytime Ms. Pruitt."

Mark watched Angela leave the office before looking back at Andy, "that girl is something else."

Andy nodded, "yeah. She's very bright."

Mark laughed, "sure, that's what I meant."

Andy shook his head as he clenched his jaw, "what can I help you with Mr. Hastings?"

***********************************************************************

Angela sighed, opening the door to her apartment, not surprised to find Andy standing in front of her. "Andy, please."

He shook his head, not saying anything as he entered her apartment, crashing his lips into hers. He slammed the door behind him, lifting her to him as he turned to press her against the door as she moaned into his mouth. He broke away from her, keeping her pinned against the door. He rested his forehead against hers, "I know you have feelings for me too Annie."

She nodded, tears welling her eyes, "I can't. Please put me down."

"You can." He sighed, setting her on her feet as he watched her wipe the few stray tears away, "tell me why. And not because of me or my family, because that's bullshit Annie. I know I'm messy right now, but I'm working on it. Do you want to wait? Until my divorce is finalized? We can. I'll wait for you Annie. But please, I need you."

Angela groaned, "there's a reason I don't date Andy. I don't get serious with anyone. I can't get serious with anyone."

He nodded, shrugging, "okay. Why?"

"Because. You've met my step father. He ruins every relationship I try. He scares them away."

Andy laughed, taking a step towards her, "believe me, he will never scare me away. I'm not afraid of him."

Angela nodded, "I know. But I am. I'm scared of him enough for the both of us. He'll ruin you Andy. He may not be able to scare you, but he can ruin you."

Andy shrugged, "let him try. Believe me, I've come through worse."

"And if he finds out about us? What he'll do to me? I can't Andy. I'm sorry. You have to leave."

He watched her look at the ground, on the verge of tears again, making him angry, "you can't just let him dictate your life Angela!"

She pushed him away as he tried to wrap his arms around her, "I know that! But I have to! At least for now. Until I can prove it. Until then, I need you to stay far away from me Andy. Please."

Andy sighed, placing his hand at the nape of her neck as he rested his forehead on hers, "okay. I'll wait. I love you Annie."

Angela groaned, wrapping her arms around his neck, tears streaking her cheeks as she kissed him. She pulled away, taking a few steps away from him before turning her back to him, "well you shouldn't. Please go."

Andy watched her for a moment before finally sighing as he left.

**********************************************************************

It had been a few weeks since Angela made Andy leave her apartment. There were no more stolen moments in his office or his classroom and he stopped coming into the diner. She expected him today though, making her smile when she saw him come into the diner with Jacob, sitting in their corner booth they always sat in. She didn't go check with them before going to the back.

Andy watched Angela walk up to his and Jacob's table with a pizza and a glass of water and a coke. He smiled as he watched her set them all down, "thank you."

Angela smiled, "I thought you guys would come in today." She held up her hand, "hold on."

He nodded, watching her disappear into the back, coming back to the table with a chocolate cake with a candle in the middle, "you remembered."

"I did." She set the cake on the table in front of Andy, "happy birthday Andy."

Andy looked up at her, grabbing her hand with a squeeze, "thank you Annie."

She nodded, looking from him to Jacob, "well you guys enjoy your dinner."

Jacob looked at his dad, watching Angela walk away. He shook his head, "Angela, wait." He waited until she turned back to him, "eat with us." He smiled, "you can't say no to me, can you?"

Angela laughed, looking at Andy who only smiled and moved over. She looked around, knowing they weren't terribly busy. "Fine." She sat next to Andy, "but it should be known I'm here because of Jacob." She heard them both laugh as she felt Andy place his hand on her thigh, giving it a small squeeze.

Andy leaned towards her ear, "I miss you."

Angela only nodded as she grabbed a slice of pizza.