Six: Confession

Reader's POV

I woke up the next day feeling absolutely horrible. Guilt hit me so hard as I replayed yesterday's events over and over in my head. Because of my condition, I probably lost one of my closest friends at school. 

The alarm I set on my phone was still blaring its loud sirens as I rolled out of bed. I ignored my alarm and walked into the bathroom slowly with a frown on my face. I was halfway into brushing my teeth when I grew fed up at the ear-splitting noise. I spit out the foamy toothpaste and put down my toothbrush. 

I walked quickly out of the bathroom, grabbed my phone, and threw it against the wall. The impact of the wall hit the off button and the phone stopped ringing. I stumbled and fell on the floor. My eye twitched abnormally. 

The symptoms are getting worse. I thought bitterly, tears pricking at my eyes. I tried to blink them away, but they trailed down my cheek instead. 

I clutched my stomach and let the tears pour out, my shoulders shaking violently. 

This is how my day started. Every. Day.

I picked myself off the floor and made my way back to the bathroom. I resumed brushing my teeth and I washed my face afterwards. 

I looked at myself in the mirror, setting down my blue face towel. I stared back at my tired, (e/c) eyes. Dark circles were starting to form under my eyes. I shook my weariness away and walked out of the bathroom. 

I bounced downstairs, a smile (that totally contrasted what I was actually feeling) plastered on my face. "Morning, Mom!" I greeted her cheerily.

She chuckled a little at how bubbly I was acting. "Good morning, Y/n."

I quickly ate my breakfast, grabbed my purple backpack, and rushed out the door to catch the bus.

Timeskip

I walked through the giant halls of Fukurodani, searching for Akaashi. I purposely got to school way earlier because I knew he came early to do some extra studying or to walk through the corridors.

I darted here and there, peering into classrooms. I walked through the halls, making left and right turns everywhere. I searched for him frantically so I could explain, or at least apologize! I ran past the library then stopped. I was pretty sure I saw a familiar black-haired boy sitting at one of the tables. 

I slowly stepped into the library, shutting the door quietly. It seemed like no one else was there, it was just the two of us, alone. 

He looked up and looked shocked to see me. I waved awkwardly with a sheepish smile on my face. Seeing his hurt face almost made me run out of there and forget about him. But my legs were glued to the floor. 

I tucked my hands in my grey uniform pockets and shuffled my feet, looking down. "Listen, can we talk somewhere else?" I asked, refusing to meet his gaze. 

He gave me no reply. 

I looked up and saw him staring straight into my soul. His dark blue eyes boring into mine. I stood there in front of the door for what seemed like forever before he finally answered: "Sure."

We walked side by side to the rooftop. We didn't talk to each other, it was pure silence. The halls were quiet, missing the loud conversing of students. We walked up the stairs leading up to rooftop. The soft thump thump of our feet echoed in the enclosed space. 

Akaashi opened the door and we sat on the rooftop floor. 

"So," he started. "what did you want to talk about?"

I adjusted my position so I was sitting criss-cross applesauce. My hands lay on my lap, playing with each other. 

"I wanted to talk about yesterday." 

He sniffed uncomfortably at the topic. 

"What about yesterday?" He asked stiffly.

I didn't answer for a while and just watched as my fingers rubbed at each other in a circular pattern. 

"I wanted to apologize." Akaashi raised his eyebrow at my answer. "And I wanted to explain." I looked up at him.

"I have Huntington Disease. It's incurable and fatal and I just found out a few days ago. My mom got a letter from the doctor." I recalled what happened several days ago.

"I just received a letter."

"From?" I pressed.

"It's from... the doctor's office."

"What did they say?!" I asked frantically.

"Well, ever since we took you to the hospital because of your strange movements, they've been running tests on you. And you were diagnosed with Huntington Disease, an incurable, fatal, rare sickness." My mom began crying again. 

All I could do was stand there in shock. I was trying to process what she just said. My knees buckled and I fell to the floor. I didn't even try to get up. 

'Why was life so unfair? Why me?' was all I could think of at the time. 

I had minor symptoms to begin with, and I've been going to the doctor's regularly, but the symptoms are growing worse. 

I've been blowing up more often at minor things, my movements have been jerky and awkward, and other things. 

And I'm scared." I said, tearing up. "I don't want to die. Who does? I try to put on such a happy-go-lucky mask on, but I'm scared, terrified!"

Akaashi stood up and hugged me tight. I hugged him back, my tears streaming down my face, staining his uniform jacket with small, wet puddles. 

"I know." He said.

I released the hug and looked at him with disbelief. 

"What? How?!"

He chuckled and simply replied with: "I have my ways."

I laughed out loud and knew deep within myself that our friendship had been mended with no hard feelings. 

"Don't worry. I'm here for you." That was all he needed to say for me to bawl my eyes out. 

And we sat there at six in the morning for half an hour, my head on his shoulder, taking shaky breaths and tears still pouring down my face.

"How long do you have left?" he asked me quietly, his voice as intelligible as the turn of a page. 

"28 days."