Nine: Rain

Reader's POV

The doctor let me go after he ran some more tests. I was sick of those stupid tests. Everything was about them. Let me run a few tests... According to your tests..... When we ran the tests... It was starting to irritate me. 

My parents were still at work so I had no one to pick me up. I figured I would just walk home, but that idea suddenly seemed horrible when I heard the soft tapping of rain on the busy hospital's windows. 

I had no jacket, no umbrella, not even the proper shoes. How was I supposed to get home in the pouring rain? 

After arguing with myself for a few minutes, I decided that I was going to die, why not get sick in the rain? I've always wanted to do it anyway. 

So that's what I did.

My parents didn't notice when I ran outside and embraced the rain. They were too absorbed in their own work to care. 

I stomped in the mud, getting it all over my uniform dress shoes. Rain stained my sweater from a light grey to a dark one. My tie was loose on my neck. My hair was plastered on my face and dripped rain water all over my pants. You would think I was miserable. 

But it was the most fun I had in ages. I had forgotten how much I loved the rain. How it softly tapped my cheeks. How the sound of it hitting an object sounded so calming. 

"You're going to get a cold." a voice said behind me. 

I whipped around, smacking myself in the face with my wet hair. "Ouch." I muttered. "Oh, 'Kaashi. You're here."

My favourite dark-haired boy nodded. He was dry because he was holding a transparent umbrella. "I came to visit you, remember? I came straight from school." 

"I don't care if I get a cold. I like the rain."

"Well, I care." 

My cold face heated up, dusting it with a light pink that no one could see. 

He stretched out the arm holding the umbrella out to me, the rain dampening the back of his clothes in the process. But he didn't care. He stood there, waiting for me to come under the protection of his umbrella. 

I stepped closer to him, halfway under the umbrella. "Now we're both equally under the umbrella!" I piped up with a smile. 

He looked down and chuckled at my remark. "You are so weird." He said finally. I frowned, taking that as an insult. "But I love that about you."

My eyes widened and my face turned an even darker shade of pink, still unnoticeable to people, but still there. 

I took another step closer to him so our noses were almost touching. Staring at him at that moment, I realized how brightly his blue eyes shone, no matter what. I realized how beautiful he was. The little imperfections on his face made him seem even more perfect. 

He took off his brown jacket and draped it over my shoulders. "So you won't get cold." he explained, pulling away slightly with embarrassment. 

"Thank you." I said, looking down. 

Then, his hand flew to my cheek and he leaned in, our noses now touching. I didn't even know what was happening when his lips met mine. My eyes widened, not expecting this at all. His hand cupped my cheek and he pulled away. 

The light tapping of the rain falling on the umbrella was deafening. I had no idea what just happened. 

Akaashi's hand tugged at the nape of his neck as he looked away, red all over. He looked different than when I saw him at school. He looked special, important. I felt like I wanted to stay with him forever. 

Then realization hit me. Could I be falling for this boy, whom I just met a few months ago? How could I, when I have so little time to make him love me? Does he?

"C'mon. I'll walk you to your house." he said, already walking. I grabbed his arm. "I don't have much time left." I said over the loud rain.

He stopped walking. "What?" he asked, turning his head to look at me. 

"The doctors said I was getting worse. My condition is getting worse."

He stepped closer to me and put his hands on my shoulders. The umbrella fell to the ground. "How much time?" he asked, his voice breaking. The sky darkened. I think tears welled up in his eyes, but I couldn't see clearly through my own. "I have two weeks left. It's not long."

"No, it's not." He pulled me in for a hug. His embrace felt warm and safe. I wanted to stay like this forever. 

"Just remember, I'm there for you." He whispered. I could barely hear him over the rain. He cared. He cared about me. 

"Come on. Let's not get soaked."