Eleven: Voicemails

Akaashi's POV

It had been a week since the day I went on a stroll with Bokuto and Y/n. I missed her. I had been really busy and I couldn't clear my schedule to make time for her. What a shame. I hated getting older. The older I got the more responsibilities I had. It was quite frustrating. 

As I was exiting the school, my phone buzzed in my thick, black coat. It was a miracle that I felt it vibrating against my leg. I looked at the fogged up screen, covering it with my hand so it wouldn't glare in the bright sun. 

13 missed calls from: Y/n.

I kept staring at the screen. How had I missed so many? What if she was in trouble? Did she need my help? I frantically typed in my password to unlock my phone and listened to her voicemails. She wasn't in school today so that just added to my worrying. 

"Hey, 'Kaashi. I'm in the hospital right now." Her voice flooded into my ears. "No need to worry, I'm fine. Just need a few check-ups." She sounded so cheerful, as if nothing was wrong. 

I clicked on the second voicemail. 

"What's up, 'Kaashi! Sorry to keep bothering you, I just wanted to keep you posted on what's going on. The doctors said that I'm fine for now and that they wanted to check a little further to make sure everything was A-OK."

I breathed out a sigh of relief. Third voicemail. 

"So, they found a little something. They assured me that I'd be fine. Hopefully, I don't get any worse."

Fourth. 

"They told me I was getting worse. I hope you get these messages, 'Kaashi. I really need your support right now."

Where was she? Fifth. 

"Still in the hospital. Honestly, this is getting kind of boring. Save me from the misery of boredom, Keiji!" 

I perked up when she referred to me by my first name. Sixth. 

"They said that I still have a week to live. So I haven't gotten much worse. Yay, celebration!"

I scrolled to the tenth. 

"Please visit me. I'm alone. I have no one. I just have you."

What happened? How did it escalate this quickly? Eleventh. 

"Why aren't you answering? It's lunchtime right now. You're allowed to use your phone. Please pick up. Please, please, please."

Twelfth.

"I'm at the hospital nearest to the school. Please, 'Kaashi. What did I do? Please at least call me back. Please. Are you mad at me?"

I didn't bother listening to the thirteenth one. I started to run. I ran as fast as I could to the hospital. I knew exactly where she was talking about. I picked up my pace. 

I ran to the point where I felt like my legs had turned to jelly. My hair blew in my face. My breath was short and fast. I had to get to her. Sweat ran down my brow. 

I had arrived. I burst through the doors. "Y/n L/n!" I yelled to the receptionist. "I'm looking for Y/n L/n." 

I got some confused looks from waiting patients and family members. I didn't care. "Room 609." the receptionist said blankly. "Sign here please." Her finger tapped on a blank row on a sheet of paper. I scribbled down my name and other things it was asking. 

I sprinted down the hall, my head turning left and right, scanning the doors for the number 609. It caught my eye. 

I skidded to a stop and swung open the door. "Y/n!"

There she was. Looking as angelic as usual. Lying in her bed. Her legs and arms were frail. Her cheeks were sunken in. She looked as pale as snow. 

She turned her head to look at me. "Oh. Hey, 'Kaashi. You finally answered."