14 | Earning Trust

Art: "Ballroom Antics" by JoyeEverett715

I used to think this mindset silly. Dark magic had long since vanished from Etheria as a real threat, solely because I myself was not a wicked person for all my years alive.

❂❂❂

Micah and Talyn arrived in Niesna, and he took a deep breath

Micah and Talyn arrived in Niesna, and he took a deep breath. It was time to talk to King Xenio about joining the Rebellion. As they approached the door to the Crypto Castle, Talyn pulled out a holo-pad and typed on it.

Suddenly, a higher-pitched voice with a thicker Rjali accent spoke from the other end. "Oh, Talyn! Great – so glad you called. The bots are reacting strongly to the iridulium S-RAMs you had me store in their mainframe. They're all a teensy-bit deadly right now – but only if you make them mad. If you just clap like this, they'll sing to you! Here, I'll show you!"

A few claps sounded from offscreen. Micah found himself grinning ear-to-ear as the bots began to sing a famous Drylian song known as "Ye Olde Qızıl Mədəni".

Talyn, however, did not smile. "Entrapta...that's nice. But weren't you supposed to meet us at the door?"

A pause. "Oh, right. Sorry, I guess I got...a little carried away." A moment passed. "Which door did you say, again?"

"The main entrance. The one we always go through – the others are emergency exits Mumma installed." Talyn sounded tired. "Now, come on! My contact has a meeting with Ata!"

"Alright! I'm going, I'm going."

A few more moments passed, and the front door opened. Micah found himself staring at a petite young woman who rode in the arms of a massive robot. Giggling, Entrapta touched her mouth with one of her prehensile, lavender-colored pigtails. "You're always bringing home the coolest friends I've ever seen. Who is he? How does he work? Can I touch him?"

Micah backed up; Entrapta seemed a tad-bit loopy at the moment. "My name is Micah. I'll be the king of Bright Moon in a few months. Are you Princess Entrapta?"

"Yep!" the younger princess chirped. "You'll need me to lead you through the castle. My best friend Ayzel will help us! Follow me!"

She snapped, and a doormat made of spikes shot up from the ground. Micah reflexively leaped back, but Talyn caught his arm. "She's got us covered. Trust her."

Micah frowned, nodding as the spikes receded. He followed the women into the castle as they began their journey to the throne room.

✧✧✧

After about three hours, they finally found the king's pavilion. "It's not usually this hard to navigate," Entrapta said, scratching her temple with a pigtail. "Normally my holo-pad works fine, but today something seems to be interfering with it."