50 | Snow

No one who seeks the Spell of Obtainment has entirely pure motives. Emeth Auctor's reason was to oust the ruling class; the foolish woman's was to gain recognition and ensure that no one would speak ill of her again. At least, that was what they told themselves.

❂❂❂

Slowly, Shadow Weaver rose, paying no heed to the soreness in her back

Slowly, Shadow Weaver rose, paying no heed to the soreness in her back. Piles of glowing moondust lay ahead, having fallen from the cracks in the ceiling leading to the outside world. She staggered toward the source of power, grabbing her canteen from her discarded uniform.

Shadow Weaver scooped up the moondust, funneling it into the canteen with her bare hands. The powder stuck to her fingers; she grabbed great handfuls, mixing it with her water. It would be grainy, yes – moondust was usually blended with a powerful alcohol solution to mask the fact that it was an insoluble substance.

She drank; the magic flowed into her body, revitalizing her. The headache and soreness faded away. Shadow Weaver gorged herself on the magic, thankful to the moons above that an eclipse had come.

But as soon as she ingested it, Shadow Weaver cramped again. The memory of being electrocuted, of the magic healing and the lightning harming, drove her to fits. She cried out, bunching up again...

Please. Please please please go away...

There was only one way to escape; she had to yield herself to the Spell. To let it reach its full strength, driving her mad.

Micah winced. Through the pain, Shadow Weaver crawled back to him; he still lay on the cold stone floor, legs elevated, his makeshift splint immobilizing his fracture. Maybe if I can contact Nell, she thought, Micah will be well again. But she was afraid of Nell blaming her. And then she would not get his services.

Micah shuddered. "Did you get some magic?"

Shadow Weaver nodded, helping him to his feet. "Where do we go now?"

"I have no idea," Micah said. "Weren't you familiar with this place?"

Shadow Weaver gazed ahead. "Cast a spell beneath the path. Perhaps there's a way to the lower levels."

"You're insane."

"Thank you," she said with an eye-roll. "Any more obvious statements?"

Micah shrugged. "Just trying to lighten the mood." He gathered magic in his hand and shot it down the cavern.

A collapsed path lay far beneath – they might have been able to skid downward, if Micah wasn't injured. Shadow Weaver frowned. "Are you prepared to hear a foolish idea?"

His eyes lit up. "Sure!"

"When I say 'cucumbers or zucchini', jump."

"What?"

"You've never heard that code-phrase?"

"It sounds like something Nell would come up with, honestly," Micah laughed. "I love it."